[act-ma] Youth Rally for Summer Jobs and More at Open Media Boston (week of 3/30/10)

Jason Pramas jpramas at igc.org
Wed Mar 31 20:44:23 PDT 2010

[please forward widely]

Hi folks! Check out this week's stories on Open Media Boston. And check
the bottom of this message for a special invitation from the Notre Dame
Education Center in South Boston to Open Media Boston viewers to attend
an April 8th fundraising harbor cruise at a special discounted rate.
Help support adult education while having a pleasant dinner on the water.

News: “Layoffs Are Not the New Crimson” - HUCTW and Supporters Rally
Against Mass Layoffs at Harvard
http://www.openmediaboston.org/node/1229

News: City Hall Rally Calls to Restore Funding for Youth Summer Jobs
http://www.openmediaboston.org/node/1231

Editorial: Boston Must Fully Fund Summer Jobs for Youth
http://www.openmediaboston.org/node/1237

Opinion: Mirrored Delusion: Conservatives' Nightmare/Progressives' Dream
http://www.openmediaboston.org/node/1228

Opinion: Bostonians Attend Anti-War Protest In Washington DC
http://www.openmediaboston.org/node/1225

Featured Visual by Diana Mai
http://www.openmediaboston.org/node/1236

Also, check out the OMB Blog where you can check out and comment on the
musings of OMB Editors and friends at http://blog.openmediaboston.org in
a more casual setting.

If you'd like to join OMB on MySpace
(http://www.myspace.com/openmediaboston) and Facebook (organizational
page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Open-Media-Boston/16603698226 and
group http://www.facebook.com/inbox/#/group.php?gid=16418766006).

If you'd like to post an event listing in the Upcoming Events section in
the left-hand menu column of OMB, find out how at
http://www.openmediaboston.org/usersguide#event. Now easier to use. For
registered users only.

If you'd like to subscribe to our RSS Feed (or get email updates of new
articles as they appear), click the following link:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/OpenMediaBoston-ProgressiveNewsViewsAndArtsFromThehubOfTheUniverse

(If you don't know what an RSS Feed is, check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rss)

If you'd like to follow our latest stories via the micro-blogging
service Twitter, click the following link:
http://twitter.com/openmediaboston

(If you don't know what micro-blogging is, check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro-blogging)

Enjoy,
Jason Pramas Editor/Publisher Open Media Boston www.openmediaboston.org

p.s. - Open Media Boston is a social media news site. As such, we are
only as good as the contributions we get from you, the viewers, from
week to week. We'd like to encourage you all to always feel free to
submit content in any media form anytime. And be sure to comment on
content that's already posted to the site. If you've never posted
content or a comment to OMB before, check out our handy User's Guide at
http://www.openmediaboston.org/usersguide.

************
************
SPECIAL INVITATION TO OPEN MEDIA BOSTON VIEWERS

Spirit of Boston helps keep “Hope Alive.”
Notre Dame Education Center continues the dream of adult education
Adult education students look to inspire community at a local fundraiser
to support the goals of adult education.

SOUTH BOSTON, MA, 3/25/10 – For friends and family of the Notre Dame
Education Center, the Spirit of Boston boat cruise will transform into
“a place of hope” for the Center’s second annual “Hope Alive” fundraiser
on April 8th, 2010. Guests will dream of endless possibilities as they
set sail around scenic Boston Harbor for an enchanting evening on the
water.

“We strive to make our students’ dreams become reality “ says spokesman
Craig Maser, as the Notre Dame Education Center (NDEC) lives out its
mission as a place of hope through the service they provide for
students. “Notre Dame has helped me put my best foot forward towards
accomplishing my dream” says high school diploma student, Corey Brooks.

“Hope Alive” is certain to touch many heartstrings throughout the
evening as guests exchange heartfelt stories and experiences with
students and honorary guests, Jack Shaughnessy and Boston College grad
Richard “Dick” Horan, who will be honored with the 2010 Mary Shaughnessy
Inspiration award later in the night. The “Hope Alive” evening will
include cocktails, dinner, entertainment, and both silent and live
auctions. Tickets for the event are on sale at www.ndecboston.org. All
proceeds from “Hope Alive” will continue to foster the success of NDEC
and support the importance of adult education in the Greater Boston
community.

For readers of Open Media Boston, Notre Dame Education Center is
offering Spirit boarding passes at a savings of $30. When you send in
your RSVP, just mark it “OMB” and pay only $70pp.

Notre Dame Education Center (NDEC), a non-profit organization located in
South Boston, provides adult learning and literacy programs for people
looking to continue their adult education in such programs as English
for Speakers of Other Languages, High School Diploma, Literacy, Distance
Learning, and social services such as Job Counseling, Citizenship
Preparation, and educational tutoring.

Contact Information:
Craig A. Maser
200 Old Colony Ave.