[act-ma] GreenPort Forum - Another Economy is Possible

Steve Wineman swineman at gis.net
Sat Apr 10 12:14:54 PDT 2010

*Another Economy is Possible: Introduction to the Solidarity Economy. *

GreenPort Forum, Tuesday, April 20 at 7pm at the Central Square Library,
45 Pearl St, Cambridge.

Can we solve the current environmental crisis in an economy driven by
profit and dependent on growth? Or must we rethink and transform
economic institutions and their underlying values? In fact, we are
already surrounded by a rich diversity of economic practices and
institutions rooted in values of sharing, cooperation, sustainability,
equality, subsidiarity/local-first, democracy, and justice. This
"solidarity economy" is growing in every continent, often in response to
the crises created by the dominant system.

In this interactive workshop, presenter Julie Matthaei, Professor of
Economics at Wellesley College and co-founder of the U.S. Solidarity
Economy Network (_www.ussen.org_ <http://www.ussen.org/>) will introduce
the solidarity economy framework, and related practices and
institutions, with special focus on the emergence of sustainable
technologies and lifestyles.