[act-ma] 4/22 - 4/29 impt, scary Video: 'Food, Inc' - on & streaming at PBS

pf soto pfsoto at mynas.com
Thu Apr 22 15:38:13 PDT 2010

http://www.pbs.org/pov/foodinc/

      Synopsis

    In *Food, Inc.*, filmmaker Robert Kenner lifts the veil on our
    nation's food industry, exposing the highly mechanized underbelly
    that's been hidden from the American consumer with the consent of
    our government's regulatory agencies, USDA and FDA. Our nation's
    food supply is now controlled by a handful of corporations that
    often put profit ahead of consumer health, the livelihood of the
    American farmer, the safety of workers and our own environment. We
    have bigger-breasted chickens, the perfect pork chop,
    insecticide-resistant soybean seeds, even tomatoes that won't go
    bad, but we also have new strains of E. coli --- the harmful
    bacteria that causes illness for an estimated 73,000 Americans
    annually. We are riddled with widespread obesity, particularly among
    children, and an epidemic level of diabetes among adults.

    Featuring interviews with such experts as Eric Schlosser ("Fast Food
    Nation"), Michael Pollan ("The Omnivore's Dilemma") along with
    forward thinking social entrepreneurs like Stonyfield Farms' Gary
    Hirschberg and Polyface Farms' Joel Salatin, *Food, Inc.* reveals
    surprising --- and often shocking truths --- about what we eat, how
    it's produced, who we have become as a nation and where we are going
    from here.

    *Food, Inc.* will be accompanied by /*Notes on Milk*/, a short
    variation of the 2007 feature documentary /Milk in the Land: Ballad
    of an American Drink/. Ariana Gerstein and Monteith McCollum, whose
    /*Hybrid*/ aired on POV in 2002, take a quirky and poetic look at
    some lesser-known aspects of America's favorite drink: the
    industry's spiritual underpinnings, politics and the struggle of
    independent farmers.

to watch online, click the *Watch Now* button at
http://www.pbs.org/pov/foodinc/

*"Food, Inc.* will be streaming online in its entirety through next
*Thursday, April 29, 2010*. "

Also showing April 29th at Suffolk Univ, Boston; see rule19 calendar
<http://rule19.org/ActionCalendar/index.asp?size=large>

--

pf soto
rule19.org <http://rule19.org>