[act-ma] sprout explores performance and spectacle in public space

David Morgan dave at groundswellcollective.com
Mon May 3 07:47:22 PDT 2010

sprout spaghetti dinners is a dinner-theater series seeking to bring
people from the Somerville and Cambridge communities together around good
food, good music, and good performance. Each month, we'll find an eclectic
group of performers to explore the month's theme through different lenses.
In the tradition of dinners hosted by NYC-based theater company Great Small
Works, we want to cast new light on common ideas from artistic, musical,
and scientific perspectives. You can find information about past dinners at
our blog (http://spaghetti.blogs.thesprouts.org).

The theme for this
month's dinner is Performance and Spectacle in Public Space. It will be
happening just outside of Davis Square at sprout (339R Summer St.) on
Wednesday May 5 with dinner at 7:30pm and performances beginning at 8. A
$10 suggested donation will help us cover expenses.

Our performers
include the following artists, thinkers, and doers ::

- Milan Kohout
(http://bit.ly/b1ZtIY) is a member of the Mobius artists' group. He is a
political street performer as well as a visual artist. Originally from the
Czech Republic, he now teaches Tufts University and performs in the Boston
area.

- John Bell is a co-founder of the HONK! Festival
(http://honkfest.org) in Davis Square as well as the NYC-based theater
company Great Small Works (http://greatsmallworks.org)--as well as a
co-organizer of these dinners! He will be taking a historical perspective
on the theme, looking at how our relationship to public space and
performance in that space has changed over time.

- kanarinka, a.k.a.
Catherine D'Ignazio, an artist and educator, will discuss her project It
takes 154,000 breaths to evacuate Boston (http://bit.ly/cnAqnk), and
examine the role that fear can play in public space, especially in the form
of public transport awareness campaigns, terror simulations in public
space, and so on.

We'd also like to thank Dave Morgan from The
Groundswell Collective (http://www.groundswellcollective.com/) for all his
work organizing this event.

Please, let us know if you have any
questions at spaghetti at thesprouts.org or 617.575.9219 with any questions.

-shaunalynn duffy, john bell, and dave morgan

James David
Morgan
Co-Founder
http://groundswellcollective.com/store