[act-ma] Sun. 5/9 7pm - Folk peña dedicated to Violeta Parra

Sergio Reyes sreyes1 at yahoo.com
Sat May 8 10:31:18 PDT 2010

1st Peña Folklórica

	Dedicated to Violeta Parra
Sunday, May 9th, 2010, 7pm to lateAt Encuentro5 -- 33 Harrison Av. 5th Floor, Chinatown.
Celebrate the
great tradition of Latin American radical culture through song and music
 in our first Peña Folklórica, dedicated to Violeta Parra of Chile. Bring
 your voice, history, song and spirit!

Musicians: Rafael Medina, Sergio
 Reyes + Open Mic.

Light snacks and refreshments offered for suggested donations by Mesa Sin Fronters (http://mesasinfronteras.org/home/) a burgeoning worker-run social club @ e5.

Peñas take historical root in Chilean social gatherings during the
60s and early 70s that expressed the spirit of creativity and resistance
 in melody, poems, and artwork under some of the most brutally
repressive social regimes. They began to sprout all over Latin America
in a time when songs resounded with a collective heart beat for a more
just society and continue to weave a fabric of solidarity through
generations. Each peña at MESA sin fronteras will be dedicated to a
musician from this great tradition who fought with the spirit of song
that defied borders.

Our first Peña on Sunday will be dedicated
 to the song and struggle of Violeta
 Parra, who was one of the first musicians in Chile to host and
perform in such Peñas. Her radiant songs are a testament to a creative
and rebellious spirit who loved much too much, inspiring listeners with
her bold, defiant lyrics and gentle voice, her enduring rhythms and
volcanic passion.

Join us to commemorate the life and song of Violeta Parra and
kick-off a new series of Peñas in the heart of Boston!