[act-ma] STRIKE OUT SB1070 & 2281 Picket Tuesday June 15 6-7pm
Lai Wa Wu
juelz123 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 17:05:54 PDT 2010
STRIKE OUT SB1070 AND HB2281!!
- Repeal Arizona's Racist Laws 1070 and 2281!
- Boycott 2011 MLB All-Star Game in Arizona!
- From AZ to MA: Stop all attacks on the Undocumented People! Full Rights
*Protest against AZ Laws in support of Tuesday, June 15, 6-7pm, Lansdowne
St. at Fenway Park!!!*
Our picket is an informational picket to "Strike Out the AZ Law" in
solidarity with the baseball players (30% of whom are Latino) and the MLB
Players Union- who are against the AZ Law.
- What are laws 1070 & 2281?
On 4/22/10, Arizona brought Jim Crow-style racism back to the US- amongst
other things, laws 1070 & 2281:
- gives police the power to detain *anyone* they have a "reasonable
suspicion" of being undocumented.
- legalizes racial profiling and makes it illegal to not carry proper
documentation of citizenship status
- bans all ethnic studies classes and programs at all public schools in
- Why are we protesting the Arizona Diamondbacks?
- in response to the racist laws, there's a nationwide campaign, supported
by AFL-CIO, the Boston city Council and many more, to boycott all companies
in Arizona until the laws are repealed.
- The Diamondbacks franchise is a major funder of the Republican party, the
main force behind these laws
- in 2010, the Diamondbacks gave $121,600 to the National Republican
Senatorial Committee, the 3rd highest contributor. They also gave $129,500
to the Republican Party Committee.
- The owners Ken Kendrick and family have made $1,023,527 in contributions
to the Republicans.
- THIS CAN HAPPEN HERE; IN FACT, IT IS ALREADY HAPPENING HERE IN
- Anti immigrant policies are already passing through Congress with the
recent passage by the state Senate of the hateful budget amendment that
attacks undocumented people in our liberal state.
In this time of strong opposition against undocumented people, it is
*CRUCIAL* all folks-undocumented and citizen allies both, from all walks of
activist circles- stand in solidarity against immigrant/worker rights
injustice to defeat these attacks. Civil rights activists had their time,
it is now OUR time to shine, to shout, "LET MY PEOPLE GO! STOP ATTACKS ON
UNDOCUMENTED PEOPLE NOW!"
Sponsoring Organizations include New Sanctuary Movement (NSM), Student
Immigrant Movement (SIM), LULACMetrowest, Latinos Unidos en Massachusetts
(LUMA), Brazilian Women's Group (BWG), Centro Presente, American Friends
Service Committee, Project Voice, Dominican Development Center, Jobs with
Justice, MataHari: Eye of the Day, ANSWER Coalition, The Party for Socialism
If your organization is interested in becoming a sponsor, please contact
Peter at plowber at hotmail.com by 5pm Mon. June 7th.
Lai Wa Wu
"The master's tools will never dismantle the master's house"- Audre Lorde
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the act-ma