[act-ma] 6/9 Collateral Damage: film/discussion (Wed)

janet at communitychangeinc.org janet at communitychangeinc.org
Mon Jun 7 07:58:08 PDT 2010

CCI Antiracism Film/Discussion Series:
  Unnatural Causes: Is Inequality Making Us Sick?

Please join us for a viewing and community conversation of the film

COLLATERAL DAMAGE

How do U.S. military policy and globalization affect our health?

June 9 (Wed)
Noon-1:30 p.m.
The Community Change Library on Racism
14 Beacon Street, Room 604
Boston MA

The lives and health of Marshall Islanders in the equatorial Pacific
were disrupted in a unique fashion when the U.S. occupied their nation
and used their outer islands for extensive nuclear testing after WWII.
  Today, around 10,000 Marshall Islanders live in Springdale AK; drawn
by plentiful jobs in the food processing industry and a low cost of
living, most are happy to have better educational opportunities and
healthier options. Even though the Marshallese can leave the
impoverished conditions of their homeland, they can?t escape the
effects of having lived in poverty; rates of TB and other infectious
and chronic diseases among the Marshallese are far above the national
average.

Please join Community Change staff and friends for a screening of this
film followed by a community conversation. Please bring your lunch.
Beverages will be provided. $5 contribution requested. RESERVATIONS
REQUIRED: RSVP 617-523-0555, janet at communitychangeinc.org

Collateral Damage is the 6th part of the series Unnatural Causes, a
groundbreaking film series that reveals some reasons why some of us
get sicker more often and die sooner. There?s more to our wellbeing
than genes, behaviors, and medical care; Unnatural Causes documents
how inequities in the rest of our lives ? the jobs we do, the stress
we experience, the neighborhoods we live in ? can get under the skin
and disrupt our biology as surely as germs and viruses. Solutions lie
not in more pills but in more equitable social policies.
http://www.unnaturalcauses.org

Community Change, Inc. was born out of the Civil Rights Movement and
problem." Since 1968, CCI has done what few organizations are willing
to do: shine a spotlight on the roots of racism in white culture with
the intention of dealing with racism at its source, as well as with
its impact on communities of color. http://www.communitychangeinc.org