[act-ma] 06/16: Brown Bag Lunch Vigil: Stop the Afghanistan War!

UJP: United for Justice with Peace ujpcoalition at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 07:11:56 PDT 2010

Brown Bag Lunch Vigil: Stop the Afghanistan War!
*When:* Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 12:00 pm
*Where: *Downstairs from Sen. John Kerry's office • One Bowdoin Square •
Boston

*Additional Locations:*
*Lowell* • Office of Rep. Niki Tsongas • 11 Kearney Square
*Worcester* • Public Library, Banx Room • 3 Salem Square (12:30pm)
*Hyannis* • Office of Rep. Bill Delahunt • 146 Main Street (Friday at 3-4pm)

[image: Healthcare Not
Warfare]<http://pdamerica.org/articles/misc/2009-11-13-12-49-50-misc.php>

*Register to attend! <http://justicewithpeace.org/bblv-register>*
[image: Pig with lipstick] <http://justicewithpeace.org/node/1472>*Wipe the
Lipstick off the Pig! <http://justicewithpeace.org/node/1472> Stop $33
billion for Afghanistan war! Join the
vigil!<http://justicewithpeace.org/node/1472>
*
*
*

The Administration's strategy in Afghanistan continues to unravel.   A
majority of the hand-picked delegates at the recent peace jirga called for
withdrawal of foreign troops <http://justicewithpeace.org/node/1488>.  Tensions
between President Karzai and the US remain
strong<http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/12/world/asia/12karzai.html>
 as he recently dismissed two pro-US officials, including one close to the
CIA.  52 percent of Americans say the war has not been worth
fighting<http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenumbers/2010/05/ahead-of-karzais-visit-a-division-on-the-war.html>,
while77 percent of Brits want their troops
out<http://www.economist.com/node/16277927?story_id=16277927>.
 "One thing none of the public will tolerate is the perception of a
stalemate where we are losing young men," noted Defense Secretary Robert
Gates in London.   *Read the new **Afghanistan War
Weekly*<http://unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=4111>
* for more updates.*

A supplemental appropriation of $33 billion to escalate the Afghanistan War
is still before Congress (HR.4899).   The Senate passed that money in May;
18 senators voted to attach an exit timeline.   The bill will come up in the
House but we do not know when.   We are asking Congress people to vote NO on
the war money; join the Out of Afghanistan Congressional Caucus; and sign on
to the McGovern exit timeline bill, HR.5015.

At last month's vigil, we reached out to passersby with our Lipstick on a
Pig flyer <http://justicewithpeace.org/node/1425> and met with staffers from
Sen. Kerry and Brown's offices; however, both Senators ignored our pleas and
voted for the war funding.

Our vigil this month will be energized by a Drummer for Peace!

Sponsored by UJP Afghanistan Task Force, Progressive Democrats of America,
and Veterans for Peace/Smedley Butler Brigade.    Email us at
ujpcoalition at gmail.com.

*Register to attend! <http://justicewithpeace.org/bblv-register>*
<http://justicewithpeace.org/>

United for Justice with Peace <http://justicewithpeace.org/> is a coalition
of peace and justice organizations and community peace groups in the Greater
Boston region. The UJP Coalition, formed after September 11th, seeks global
peace through social and economic justice.

*Help us continue to do this critical work! Make a donation to UJP
today.<http://justicewithpeace.org/donate>
*

ujpcoalition at gmail.com
617-383-4UJP *(NEW!)*www.justicewithpeace.org

Upcoming Events:

Brown Bag Lunch Vigil: Stop the Afghanistan
War!<http://justicewithpeace.org/node/1472>Wed
Jun 1612:00pmDownstairs from Sen. John Kerry's officeBostonBreaking the
Siege of Gaza: UJP Strategy
Conference<http://justicewithpeace.org/gaza-ujp-conference>Sat
Jun 192:00pmCambridge Friends Meeting CenterCambridgeEyewitness: Gaza
Freedom Flotilla Attack <http://justicewithpeace.org/node/1496>Sat Jun 19
7:00pmPalestinian Cultural Center for PeaceAllstonU.S. Social
Forum<http://justicewithpeace.org/node/754>Tue
Jun 226:00pmDetroit, MI

*More Peace and Justice Events <http://justicewithpeace.org/upcoming-events>.
   How to Submit Events <http://justicewithpeace.org/posting-events>*