[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events

George Mokray gmoke at world.std.com
Mon Jul 5 10:15:53 PDT 2010

MIT

Friday, July 09, 2010

"Geoengineering by Seeding Boundary Layer Clouds"
Speaker: Dr. Philip Rasch, Chief Scientist for Climate Science,
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Time: 2:00p–3:00p
Location: 54-915
EAPS - CGSC Seminar
Open to: the general public
Cost: Free
Sponsor(s): Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences, Joint Program
on the Science and Policy of Global Change, Center for Global Change
Science
For more information, contact:
Roberta Allard
253-3382
allard at mit.edu
-------------------

Harvard

Midsummer Nights' Science: "Meet Your Microbes"
WHEN
Wed., July 7, 2010, 6 – 7 p.m.
WHERE
The Broad Institute
7 Cambridge Center	 Auditorium (NE30-1154)
Kendall Square, Cambridge
SPEAKER(S)
Bruce Birren
COST
Free
TICKET INFO
rokop at broadinstitute.org
CONTACT INFO
617.714.7992
"Meet Your Microbes"
by Bruce Birren, PhD
Abstract: The human body is home to all sorts of microbes --
microscopic organizms like fungi, bacteria, and viruses that live in
our guts, mouths, lungs, skin, and more. Scientists are beginning to
catalog and explore these organisms, looking for clues about human
health. Bruce Birren describes these efforts to comprehensively
catalog these microbes, decode their genetic information, and examine
their role in disease.

We stand at a unique moment in human history. Our knowledge of the
human genome, our DNA, is transforming the way we think about
healthcare, justice, technology, ethnicity and so much more.
Cambridge, Mass. is the home for much of this work, and it holds
immense promise for this community. Therefore, you are invited to
explore the implications of this new knowledge at Midsummer Nights'
Science. You will hear from and interact with enthusiastic scientists
who can translate difficult concepts into easy to understand language.

-----------------------------------

Other

Artisan Asylum is offering courses on many different craft and tech
practices.  They are a non-profit community craft studio located near
Union Square in Somerville, Massachusetts.  Sounds like a very good
idea.

http://artisansasylum.com/

Our mission is to support and promote the teaching, learning and
practicing of craft of all varieties. To support that mission, we
intend to offer the following:

	• A fully equipped and professionally maintained manufacturing
facility, which will include but is not limited to precision metal
machining, electrical fabrication, welding, woodworking, fabricwork,
cooking, painting, photography, jewelrymaking and more.
	• Monthly and daily membership plans for the general public to access
said facility on weekends and after working hours to encourage DIY
culture and community craftsmanship
	• A large range of affordable, publicly-accessible classes offered by
local artisans, either focusing on creating a final product the
student can take home after the class or general training for specific
tools
	• Affordable daytime space and equipment rental to local professional
artists and businesspeople interested in having access to industrial-
grade manufacturing equipment and a dedicated manufacturing
environment without having to invest in capital equipment and long-
term space leases
	• On-site material storage and resale and on-site project storage,
allowing community members to create and store projects without the
hassle of handling material and storage logistics
	• Hosting and promotion of local craft-related events

Links to events at over 30 colleges and universities at Hubevents (http://hubevents.blogspot.com
)
Thanks to Fred Hapgood's Selected Lectures on Science and Engineering
in the Boston Area (http://fhapgood.fastmail.fm/site02.html)