[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events

George Mokray gmoke at world.std.com
Sun Jul 25 18:46:56 PDT 2010

Other

Monday, July 26th, 7 p.m.

The Future Of Search
Besides helping us sort through vast stores of changing information,
is search altering the fundamental way in which people and
institutions make decisions?
Ask this question and others of world renowned search innovators, Don
Dodge, Developer Advocate, Google; Adam Ferrari, CTO, Endeca; Pawan
Deshpande, CEO, HiveFire; and Justin Boyan, VP of Web Data
Integration, ITA. The impact of search goes far beyond familiar web
search, and Boston is one its centers of innovation. On this panel,
you’ll hear about the critical facets of search that will shape our
future -- technology, business, society, and user experience.

	• LOCATION: Endeca, 101 Main St., Cambridge

register at adventures at tedxboston.org

Many more TEDx adventures at http://tedxboston.org/pre-event-adventures

The next Nerdnite will be Monday July 26, at the Middlesex Lounge,
starting at 8pm (full details below). As usual, we've got two
fantastic talks lined up, interspersed with nerd-appropriate tunes by
DJ Claude Money.

Talk 1: "Joystick Soldiers: Fifty Years of Videogames and War" By Nina
Huntemann.

Nina first starting playing videogames in 1978 on a Sears clone of the
Atari 2600 and, when her father wasn't looking, on the TI-99/4A he
bought at Toys R Us in 1981. She has managed to turn her love of
gaming into a career at Suffolk University, where she was granted
tenure last year for, among other things, publishing a book about
videogames and the military.

Talk 2: "Crazy Vision: The Science Behind Popular Optical Illusions"
By Brandon Moore.

Brandon is a graduate from MIT where he studied brain and cognitive
sciences. When not studying how the brain does vision he enjoys
reading, playing video games, and coming up with bad ideas.

Be there and be square!
Monday July 26, 8pm
Middlesex Lounge
315 Mass Ave (Central Square)
Cambridge, MA
$5
www.boston.nerdnite.com
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=52318050296

Thursday, July 29
10 am to 6 pm with a reception following

Revolutionary Ideas Start Here
Seaport World Trade Center
register at http://tedxboston.org/

Groundswell and the Design Studio for Social Intervention present a
discussion of mapmaking as an activist practice with Daniel Tucker.
Daniel has worked as a cultural and political organizer in Chicago for
the last ten years.

Join us on July 28th at 7:00PM
at the Design Studio (1946 Washington Street, Roxbury, MA) [2]. The
location is on public transit, is wheelchair accessible, and attending
doesn't cost a thing.

Artists, activists, cartographers, and everyday experimentalists
encouraged to attend!

WHY MAPS?
Because maps are a visual tool for sharing information with others.
Because they can be produced by many people and combined together to
tell stories about complex relationships. Because maps are never
finished and only tell part of a story that can constantly be expanded
upon. Because power exists in space, struggle exists in space and we
exist in space.  Because we cannot know where we are going if we do
not know where we are from.

The presentation will focus on Daniel's involvement with the
Experimental Geography exhibit (2009) and his organizing of the We Are
Here map archive. We will also craft submissions for Notes for a
People's Atlas, a book soon to be published by Daniel and friends.

The Groundswell Collective
http://www.groundswellcollective.com/
http://groundswellcollective.com/store
http://blog.groundswellcollective.com/

Links to events at over 30 colleges and universities at Hubevents (http://hubevents.blogspot.com
)
Thanks to Fred Hapgood's Selected Lectures on Science and Engineering
in the Boston Area (http://fhapgood.fastmail.fm/site02.html)
Boston Area Computer User Groups  http://www.bugc.org/