[act-ma] Sacco and Vanzetti Remembered in Boston, Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sergio Reyes sreyes1 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 13 08:52:02 PDT 2010

PRESS RELEASE / PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Sacco and Vanzetti
Remembered in Boston, Sunday, August 22, 2010

On Sunday, August 22nd, in Boston,
the 83rd anniversary of the execution of Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti
will be remembered.  They were two Italian immigrants and committed
anarchists whose trial is regarded as one of the great miscarriages of justice
in American history. Calling attention to the continued repression of
immigrants and radicals, the Sacco and Vanzetti Commemoration Society (SVCS)
invites all to attend and participate in the fifth annual march and rally.

We will begin by gathering in Copley Square at 2PM, followed
by a march to the North End at 3PM, and conclude with a rally at 4PM at the
Paul Revere Mall at 416 Hanover Street featuring a number of speakers,
including Boston City Councilor Chuck Turner, environmental activist Klare
Allen, Laila Murad from the Tarek Mehanna Defense Committee, Pasqualino
Colombaro, labor activist, Dorotea Manuela from the Boston May Day Committee
and Jake Carman, from the Boston Anti-Authoritarian Movement.

For five years, the SVCS has sought to bring public
attention to the wrongful execution of the two Italian immigrant workers and
radicals in 1927. We invoke their tragedy and our local history not just to
remember Sacco and Vanzetti, but also to demonstrate how little has changed in
the 83 years following their execution. Nationalist fear mongering and the
repression of dissidents are as prevalent today as it was during the Red Scare
in the early 20th century. The way in which immigrants workers are rounded up,
detained and deported today under the pretext of a War on Terror, a War on
Drugs or securing our borders, is eerily similar to the Palmer Raids targeting
immigrants in the 1920s.  And while the overwhelming majority of developed
nations have abolished the death penalty, the retention of capital punishment
in the United States
keeps the U.S.
in disgracefully bad company only with countries notorious for their human
rights abuses.

This year a candlelight memorial for Sacco and Vanzetti will
be held beginning at midnight Sunday,
August 22, in Charlestown, close to
the actual site of the executions and at the same time they occurred. Bunker
  Hill Community College
now stands where most of the old prison once stood. The memorial will begin at
the corner of New Rutherford Avenue
and Austin Street, at the Austin
 St Bridge
[known formerly as the Prison Point
 Bridge.]  Selections from the letters of the two men
will be read during the vigil.

# # #

Contact: Sergio Reyes, 617-290-5614

Email: info[@]saccoandvanzetti.org

Web: www.saccoandvanzetti.org

Sacco and Vanzetti Commemoration Society