[act-ma] 8/19: "Blue Gold: World Water Wars" - Free UPandOUT film screening, Thurs, Aug 19 / is access to water a human right? online interview w Maude Barlow

pf soto pfsoto at mynas.com
Sun Aug 15 10:44:43 PDT 2010

Showing Thursday, August 19th, in Cambridge:
*
Blue Gold: World Water Wars

*[see link below to DemNow video of interview with Maude Barlow, July
29; "*In Historic Vote, UN Declares Water a Fundamental Human Right"* -
*but* the US & several other industrialized countries abstain from vote !!!]

"In every corner of the globe, we are polluting, diverting, pumping, and
wasting our limited supply of fresh water at an expediential. The
rampant overdevelopment of agriculture, housing and industry increase
the demands for fresh water well beyond the finite supply, resulting in
the desertification of the earth.

Corporate giants force developing countries to privatize their water
supply for profit. Wall Street investors target desalination and mass
bulk water export schemes. Corrupt governments use water for economic
and political gain. Military control of water emerges and a new
geo-political map and power structure forms, setting the stage for world
water wars.

We follow examples of people fighting for their basic right to water,
from court cases to violent revolutions to U.N. conventions to revised
constitutions to local protests at grade schools. As Maude Barlow
proclaims, 'This is our revolution, this is our war”. "

“The film doesn't lecture, it engages. It dramatically and persuasively
outlines the [water] crisis facing the world. Stirring stuff …” ~ToNight

“"Finally, a water film that kicks ass... A must see film for every
person on the planet." ~GreenMuze.com
(DVDs will be available for purchase)

*When/where*
6:40 pm, doors open for refreshments, extras
*7pm, film starts promptly*
243 Broadway, Cambridge - corner of Broadway and Windsor,
entrance on Windsor
rule19.org/videos <http://rule19.org/videos>

Please join us for a stimulating night out; bring your friends!
free film, free refreshments, & free door prizes.
[donations are accepted]

    In Historic Vote, UN Declares Water a Fundamental Human Right

Right-to-water
<http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/29/in_historic_vote_un_declares_access>[July
28, 2010]  The United Nations General Assembly has declared for the
first time that access to clean water and sanitation is a fundamental
human right. In a historic vote Wednesday, 122 countries supported the
resolution, and over forty countries abstained from voting, including
the United States, Canada and several European and other industrialized
countries. There were no votes against the resolution. We speak with
longtime water justice activist, Maude Barlow.
See:
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/29/in_historic_vote_un_declares_access

"/You can't legislate good will - that comes through education./" ~
Malcolm X

*UPandOUT film series* - see rule19.org/videos
<http://rule19.org/videos>
Why should YOU care? It's YOUR money that pays for US/Israeli wars - on
Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Palestine, So America, etc etc - for
billionaire bailouts, for ever more ubiquitous US prisons, for the loss
of liberty and civil rights...