[act-ma] BIC Seeking Volunteer English Teachers: Please forward widely!

Corry Banton corryb8 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 22 18:53:02 PDT 2010

The Boston Interpreters Collective is seeking dedicated volunteer English teachers with an interest in Popular Education, participatory learning and immigrant rights.  We are looking for a team of teachers interested in participating in one or several of our 2010 programs:
Parent English for Action, Mary Curley School Jamaica Plain 2 weekdays per week 8:30-10:30am
South Boston en Accion English for Leadership, South Boston 2 weekdays/wk 11-1pm
South Boston en Accion Community Computer Class (bilingual Eng/Span) Wed. 10am-12pm
Parent English for Action, Lila Frederick Middle School, Dorchester 2 evenings per week times TBD

Teaching experience and/or experience with Popular Education and community organizing helpful but not required.  Ability to be flexible and work in teams essential.  Some Spanish language background for Curley & South Boston en Accion courses helpful but not required.
Volunteers must be willing to commit to entire fall session (late Sept/ early Oct-December)
$100 stipend for transportation costs

Contact: info at interpreterscollective.org for more information or to volunteer.
 Mission: The Boston Interpreters Collective is dedicated to promoting a multilingual society by eliminating language barriers and building community. We work toward social justice by supporting community organizing through our interpretation services and language classes and popular education workshops. Our collective is committed to promoting equal rights for all by addressing root causes of oppression.