[act-ma] Spontaneous Celebrations Fundraiser - FRIDAY

Brian O'Connell vinniechops at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 29 19:31:43 PDT 2010

PLEASE FORWARD

This Friday there will be a dinner/concert
fundraiser for Spontaneous Celebrations – a truly grassroots community center in
Jamaica Plain, Boston, that for over 30 years has been providing diverse arts programs
for city youth, a home for Food not Bombs & various arts/performance groups,
as well as an organizing space for peace, LGBT, immigrant & solidarity
groups. Spontaneous Celebrations also organizes some of the best community arts
festivals in the country - the epic and legendary Wake Up the Earth Festival and the magical JP Pond Lantern Parade every year in Jamaica Plain. Become a
member!

Please come join us for:

High
Five - First Friday Festival Fool Fundraiser

Friday,
September 3

Localvore Dinner      7:00pm, 25$, kids 12 & under FREE

Live Bands                 8:30pm, 10$, 21+

Spontaneous
Celebrations

45 Danforth Street

Jamaica Plain, MA 02130

(617) 524-6373, www.spontaneouscelebrations.org

With
Local and Touring Bands:

Brief Awakening (JP)                                    www.myspace.com/briefawakening

All of the Animals
(Allston)                          www.alloftheanimals.com

The Christopher Dale Trio
(San Diego)     www.christopherdalemusic.com

With your hosts:

The Soupa Group Collective:

The Grass Gypsys (Rozi)      www.thegrassgypsys.com

Dave Scandurra (Allston)    www.myspace.com/changethroughmusic

Kevin Silvia (RI)                     www.kevinsilvia.com

Brian O’Connell (JP)              www.reverbnation.com/brianoconnell

Spontaneous Celebrations:

Mission

The mission of Spontaneous Celebrations is to create and sustain a community
cultural life that unites and empowers people for positive change through the
arts; to produce seasonal celebrations in the Jamaica Plain and Roxbury
neighborhoods; and to maintain a Community Cultural center for all.

History

The origins of the organization date from the first Wake Up the Earth Festival
in 1979. This festival was, in part, a celebration of the defeat of the
proposed I-95 extension through many Boston neighborhoods. Further
collaboration by some of the artists, activists, and residents who had worked
on this issue in Jamaica plain/Roxbury contributed to the creation of new
community gardens and parks on some of the land left vacant by the destruction
of houses for the planned highway. The festival has taken place every year
since, on the first Saturday in May.

In October we sponsor the Jamaica Pond Lantern Parade, a beautiful encircling
of the Pond by people of all ages carrying handmade, candle-lit lanterns. At a
time when the season is darkening, the community turns out to spread light and
express hope.

Philosophy

Our philosophy is based on:

The strength,
     enjoyment, and learning that comes from discovering and interacting with
     the many cultural and ethnic traditions that exist side-by-side in our
     neighborhoods. The timeless agrarian,
     environmental, and economic traditions of May Day and many other folk
     festivals. The belief that
     involving as many different groups as possible in the creation of our
     community center and festivals is an effective way to eradicate racism and
     increase communication, trust, and a shared sense of belonging.

Brian O’Connell
(617) 947-8983
vinniechops at hotmail.com

"Herbert
Read, in "Chains of Freedom," writes that we need a "Black Market in
culture, a determination to avoid the bankrupt academic institutions,
the fixed values and standardized products of current art and
literature; not to trade our spiritual goods through the recognized
channels of Church, or State, or Press; rather to pass them 'under the
counter.'