[act-ma] 10/4: Strategic Volunteering to Accelerate Your Career

Robbie Samuels send2robbie at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 07:27:37 PDT 2010

Monday, October 4 - 6-8:30PM
Skillshare: Strategic Volunteering to Accelerate Your Career
Lir Irish Pub & Restaurant, 903 Boylston St (by Hynes Convention Center) RSVP
to reserve your spot: www.sojust.org ($5-$10 at the door).

You may have noticed that Socializing for Justice is not an issue-based
organization. We host events that draw progressives of all stripes that are
like-minded but not necessarily like-identified. Our philosophy focuses on
creating social spaces that allow for the possibility of cross-issue
connections, discussion spaces that challenge our myopic view of the world
and now we're introducing skillshares which will support all of us desiring
to make a difference in the world.

We're very excited that Mark McCurdy, The Nonprofit Career Coach, has agreed
to facilitate this training. Below is the workshop description from his
website: www.thenonprofitcareercoach.org.

*Volunteer to accelerate your career*

How mission-focused volunteer work will positively transform your world and
career. Learn from a one-of-a-kind framework or recipe how to cook up a
career for social impact.

Points covered:

1. Three secret ingredients to help you find your dream job for social
impact (social impact compass)
2. Why and how to leverage your volunteer or pro-bono experience into a job
reality
3. Hear the “secret recipe” of how people just like YOU are living their
dream job for social impact
4. What are the “Hot & Spicy” sectors in the nonprofit/social impact space
5. Social impact resume writing that will get nonprofits and social
entrepreneur organizations to call you
6. How strategic internships and volunteering will help expand your network
and get you hired

Mark is a highly sought after speaker and receives rave reviews - check out
his testimonials <http://thenonprofitcareercoach.org/testimonials>!

Hope you'll join us for this and future skillshares. Is there a skill you
want to learn? Is there one you can offer? Let us know!

*YES, WE MEAN YOU.* We've got members of all ages, races, genders, sexual
orientations, levels of activism and professions. We hope you see someone
like yourself and meet someone you otherwise wouldn't have.

*Socializing for Justice - www.sojust.org*
Since 2006, we've been building this great sandbox where we can bring
progressives of all stripes together and try out new ideas in this "Movement
Moment". Spaces like this are crucial as we start to reframe and build new
visions for our movement(s).

With over 1400+ members and 4+ years of creating a diverse cross-issue
community in Boston, Socializing for Justice is the best place to find the
great people, organizations and community you're looking for while putting
the SOCIAL back in social justice.

*Wanna know more about SoJust?* Check out our Frequently Asked
Questions<http://sojust.meetup.com/1/messages/boards/view/viewthread?thread=3187615>and
past
event photos <http://sojust.meetup.com/1/photos/>!