[act-ma] October 7th Teach-In on Corporate Takeover of Higher Education

Russ Davis russdavis at comcast.net
Mon Oct 4 13:50:49 PDT 2010

  ****Please forward widely***

Class War: The Corporate Takeover of Higher Education
*A Teach-in for the National Higher Education Day of Action
*
*Date: October 7, 2010Time: 6 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Location: 20 West Village F, Northeastern University (Ruggles T, Orange
Line)

*Join us for a Night of Solidarity! Learn, Discuss, and Network!*

The Wall Street takeover of the economy continues to wreak havoc on the
majority of Americans. As the corporate bottom line has become
paramount, we've seen risk redistributed away from the wealthy and
powerful and onto the backs of working people. In recent years, our
colleges and universities have also been changing to reflect these
larger trends. The public mission of many educational institutions has
been replaced by a corporate model that centralizes authority, squeezes
workers and leaves students with the financial risk of ballooning
student loan debts even as their employment prospects dim.

Academic freedom is under fire and educational facilities are on the brink
of becoming systems that prioritize corporate training over free
speech.This
is why we are holding the Teach-In on October 7th. We are building a
coalition
of workers, students and faculty on private and public colleges alike.
Together
we can more effectively respond to cutbacks in higher education and the
exploitation
  of students and workers.

We are reclaiming our education. Schools are for people, not profits!

Sponsored by Massachusetts Jobs With Justice, Northeastern Progressive
Student Alliance &
Student Labor Action Project

*For more information contact: Mary Hewey mary at massjwj.net 617-524-8778*