[act-ma] Monday- Show your solidarity with the people of Cabanas - El Salvador

Russ Davis russdavis at comcast.net
Fri Oct 22 09:46:23 PDT 2010

SAVE THE DATE

ACTION AGAINST TIFF

When: 4:30 pm, Monday October 25^th

Where: 95 Mt. Auburn St., Cambridge, MA

  EVENT FOR MIGUEL ANGEL RIVERA

When: 5:30 pm, directly following the action

Where: Philip Brooks House (northwest corner of Harvard Yard)

Jobs with Justice and CISPES will be taking action against local
investors of the Pacific Rim Mining Company. The target will be The
Investment Fund for Foundations (TIFF), which is the 9^th largest
shareholder of Pacific Rim.

In the department of Cabañas, El Salvador, communities have been
protesting against a proposed gold mining project by Pacific Rim. The
mine would have devastating effects, which includes poisoning El
Salvador’s largest river- and primary source of drinking water- with
cyanide.

Thanks to successful community resistance, in 2007, the Ministry of
Environment denied Pacific Rim’s permit to start drilling for gold.
However, the company countered this resistance by suing the Salvadoran
government for $77 million**in “lost profit” under the Central American
Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA). Recently, violence has broken out in Cabañas.

In June 2009, an anti-mining community leader Marcelo Rivera was
tortured and killed. */Miguel Angel Rivera/*/,/ the brother of Marcelo,
will be in Boston on October 25^th . In honor of Mr. Rivera and his
brother, we will be holding a protest outside TIFF, demanding that they
divest all funds immediately.

Following the action, we will be holding an event for our guest, Mr.
Rivera. Mr. Rivera will share the story of his community’s struggle
against Pacific Rim and he will provide us with more information on the
current situation in El Salvador. The event will take place near Harvard
Square. Specific location TBA.

**

*For more information please contact Jobs with Justice at (617) 524-8778
or Boston CISPES at (617) 576-1709.*

STAND IN SOLIDARITY WITH EL SALVADOR!

TELL TIFF TO DIVEST _NOW_!

/Edwin Argueta/