[act-ma] 11/1: Social Media 101 (SoJust Skillshare)

Robbie Samuels send2robbie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 15:05:01 PDT 2010

Hi all!

Have you been looking for a place to ask questions about social media - the
kinds of questions you think everyone should know the answer but it doesn't
seem obvious to you? Then you should definitely check out this skillshare.
RSVPs required - limited space available.

Thanks!
Robbie Samuels
Co-Founder & Co-Organizer
Socializing for Justice
www.sojust.org

Cross-posted from www.robbiesamuels.com:

SoJust Skillshare: Social Media 101

You may have noticed that Socializing for Justice is not an issue-based
organization. We host events that draw progressives of all stripes that are
like-minded but not necessarily like-identified. Our philosophy focuses on
creating social spaces that allow for the possibility of cross-issue
connections, discussion spaces that challenge our myopic view of the world
and now we're introducing skillshares which will support all of us desiring
to make a difference in the world.

We're very excited that ADAORA ASALA has agreed to facilitate this training:

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 1st - 6:00-8:30PM
SOCIAL MEDIA 101
Why are millions of people using Facebook and what the tweet is Twitter?
This 90-minute skillshare will cover the "what" and the "why" behind Social
Media. Learn basic uses of popular tools like Twitter, Facebook, and
Youtube, including how to keep up to date with and support your favorite
causes, or champion your own!

SCHEDULE
6:00-6:30 Socializing - bring your own dinner
6:30-8:00 Training
8:00-8:30 Q & A and more socializing

RSVP at http://www.sojust.org (our official website - and while there check
out SoJust's Calendar of Progressive Events in Boston)
COST: $5-$10 at the door

GLAD is physically accessible - there is a microwave and water cooler.
Winter Street is between Tremont Street (Park St T) and Washington Street
(Downtown Crossing T). The entrance is on Winter Place an alleyway next to
Sovereign Bank. Very limited parking nearby - best best Boston Common Garage
- driving not recommended.

________________________________
ADAORA ASALA is a diversity consultant and social media strategist in the
non-profit sector, and an avid blogger on leadership and activism. She is
the founding director of Queer Women of Color and Friends (QWOC+ Boston),
www.qwocboston.org, a nationally recognized social networking organization
for LGBTQ people of color and allies in New England. Adaora was recently
honored by the History Project as the recipient of the 2010 Lavender Rhino
Award and by Fenway Women's Health with "The Trailblazer Award." You can
read more about her and her work at www.spectraspeaks.com.
________________________________

Hope you'll join us for this and future skillshares. Is there a skill you
want to learn? Is there one you can offer? Let us know!

YES, WE MEAN YOU. We've got members of all ages, races, genders, sexual
orientations, levels of activism and professions. We hope you see someone
like yourself and meet someone you otherwise wouldn't have.

Socializing for Justice - www.sojust.org
Since 2006, we've been building this great sandbox where we can bring
progressives of all stripes together and try out new ideas in this "Movement
Moment". Spaces like this are crucial as we start to reframe and build new
visions for our movement(s).

With almost 1500 members and 4+ years of creating a diverse cross-issue
community in Boston, Socializing for Justice is the best place to find the
great people, organizations and community you're looking for while putting
the SOCIAL back in social justice.