[act-ma] 11/13-14: RootsCampMA at SEIU 1199 in Boston

Robbie Samuels send2robbie at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 08:34:06 PST 2010

Hi fellow activists and progressive organizers!

In case you haven't heard - this weekend is RootsCampMA in Boston and you're
invited to present! Partner with us to help get the word out and tell your
membership that there are still volunteer positions available.

It's very, very rare that Socializing for Justice finds an opportunity to
co-sponsor events because we purposely don't align ourselves with specific
issue groups. So it is with great pleasure that I share that SoJust has
partnered with New Organizing Institute (NOI) to host RootsCamp
MA<http://bit.ly/rootscampma>in Boston on November 13 & 14 (just $10
for both days!). NOI
is coordinating statewide RootsCamps in 25 states and then a national
RootsCamp in DC in December.

*What's RootsCamp?* It's a friendly environment where you'll have time to
make real connections with people working on and interested in lots of
different issues. (Sound familiar?) Over one weekend in Boston*, *RootsCamp
will bring together a broad spectrum of organizers to discuss and
collaborate, share lessons learned, and drive the conversation about  best
practices in progressive organizing. Discuss the successes and challenges
facing progressive organizers. Help us to bring together diverse voices and
perspectives from across the state and create a powerful, inclusive, and
productive event. Join us, and help drive the progressive movement forward.

*How's it organized?* *It's an "unconference"* - meaning YOU get to present
a session without having to submit a proposal. The whole point of this
RootsCamp unconference is for local organizers to own and drive the
conversation. It's the only conference this year where you are guaranteed to
have a chance to talk about what YOU want to talk about. It's part
reflection: a candid environment to share what's working and what isn't.
It's also a chance to get to know each other better and plan the year
ahead.Here's a quick video explaining the unconference concept:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM6htb8Hifg&feature=player_embedded

*Who should come?* All interested progressives, defined broadly, from across
Massachusetts who have lessons to share, more to learn, or campaigns and
projects to move forward.  Whether you consider yourself a "progressive" or
simply work on an issue or matter that moves our country forward, add your
voice and perspective -- help shape and take ownership over RootsCamp.

 *Where is it?* SEIU 1199 is generously hosting us in their space: 150 Mt.
Vernon Street, Second Floor, Dorchester Near UMass/JFK T stop - free parking
available.

*What can you do to get involved?*

 *We're doing this as volunteers and could very much use your help to make
this happen and strengthen Massachusetts' cross-issue progressive community,
network and movement (see it's right in line with SoJust's vision!):

*
1. Attend one or both days! <http://bit.ly/rootscampma> The best thing you
can do is *RSVP right now*- we're under a tight deadline to reach critical
mass. *It's only $10 for both days.*

 2. If you can *volunteer your time* (in the next 8 days or the weekend of
the event) you'll attend for free or *become a $100 event sponsor* so we can
cover the cost of food and supplies, you're amazing. Just select volunteer
or sponsor when you RSVP:
https://sites.google.com/a/neworganizing.com/rootscamp-ma/

3. *Invite your network!* We really need your help to be sure we reach
everyone that would potentially want to be involved. Please share this email
with any groups you work with.

Questions? Fill out this
form<https://sites.google.com/a/neworganizing.com/rootscamp-ma/home/volunteer>and
we'll be in touch.