[act-ma] Interpreting for Social Justice w/Roberto Tijerina 12/11 & 12/12

Corry Banton corryb8 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 10 10:04:38 PST 2010

                   The Boston Interpreters Collective Presents
Interpreting For Social Justice w/ Roberto Tijerina
December 11 & 12, 2010
9am-5pm
M.I.T.  Room 4-153
                77 Massachusetts Ave. Cambridge

How do we build the capacity as individuals and organizations in social movements to create multilingual spaces where everyone can have their voices heard? How do we build our skills as interpreters? What is the role of the interpreter in social justice work?

This workshop will provide practical tools for developing and improving simultaneous and consecutive interpretation skills, explore the social, political and ethical dimensions of language access and explore how we can include this work in social movements.

Roberto Tijerina is a nationally renowned trainer in multilingual justice and social justice interpretation.  Mr. Tijerina was the Language Access Coordinator of the 2010 US Social Forum and former Director of the Multilingual Capacity Building program at the Highlander Research and Education Center.

The Boston Interpreters Collective is dedicated to promoting a multi-lingual society by eliminating language barriers and building community. We work toward social justice by supporting community organizing through our interpretation services and language classes and popular education workshops. Our collective is committed to promoting equal rights for all by addressing root causes of oppression.

$50 BIC Members/ $65 Non-members.  Includes morning coffee and lunch.  Payment plans possible.  Bilingual or multilingual competency is preferred.  No experience necessary.

Space is limited. To register or for more information contact:
Boston Interpreters Collective at info at interpreterscollective.org  or 617.999.0888
www.interpreterscollective.org