[act-ma] Nov 16: social cinema in Jamaica Plain

m. nikiforova louxor at runbox.com
Mon Nov 15 14:49:02 PST 2010

I would like to introduce a new Jamaica Plain-based film screening series: the People's Cinema. We show documentary and fiction films that enlighten the viewer on social issues around the world. The program is curated by John Gianvito, an acclaimed filmmaker and Emerson professor, and organized by Mariya Nikiforova and Stefan Grabowski (aka Radon Lake). The screenings are free and open to all, and our venue is a charming/spooky historic site -- the living room of the Loring-Greenough House at 12 South Street (by the Monument). I hope you can make it and/or spread the word!

Thank you,
Mariya

The People's Cinema welcomes you to the Loring-Greenough on November 16th, 7pm, for some classic French cinema: The Crime of Monsieur Lange (1936) by Jean Renoir -- director of The Rules of the Game.

While recognized today as one of the finest works in the career of renowned French director Jean Renoir, The Crime of Monsieur Lange has been little seen in recent years and is not widely available on DVD. Based on a script by Jacques Prevert (who would later write Children of Paradise) the film tells the story of Monsieur Lange (Réné Lefèvre) who works in the publishing house run by the swinish, fast-talking Batala (Jules Berry), grinding out western adventure novels. When Batala fakes his own death in order to skip town and escape his creditors, his publishing house becomes a humming, happy, perfectly run collective. (John Gianvito)

Tea & cake at 7pm, film starts at 7:30pm. The screening is free, but donations to the Loring-Greenough House (a historic landmark and non-profit) are welcome.

-----
People's Cinema website: http://www.radonlake.com/peoples/
Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/crime1116
Loring-Greenough House: http://www.loring-greenough.org