[act-ma] Meeting tomorrow (Weds) for Haiti solidarity & action!

Lindsay Schubiner lschubiner at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 12:09:46 PST 2010

Hi everyone!

Hope to see you at the next *UnityAyiti meeting tomorrow at 6:30 pm* at
Encuentro 5 (that's 33 Harrison Ave, Downtown Crossing / Chinatown on the
T). This meeting will follow up on last Friday's teach-in and all the energy
and ideas that came out of it!

*Check out our new website here!*  www.unityayiti.org.

*An urgent issue that has been emerging* in recent days is the cholera
outbreak and the poor humanitarian response - led by the UN - resulting in
conditions ideal for a severe epidemic.  Independent surveys show more than
280 people per toilet in the camps, which are now mud and waterclogged from
storms.  At the end of October, an Associated Press investigation also
identified a UN base at Mirebalais as the potential source of the epidemic,
but the UN has yet to launch a formal investigation.  Protesters in the
north of the country are increasingly targeting the UN for its potential
role in the outbreak and for the lack of a proper humanitarian response.  We
hope to discuss this urgent situation and what we can do, on Wednesday.
More info below.

Also, a few of us may hold a skype call today around 10 to throw around some
ideas a bit beforehand on this issue - let me know if you're interested in
joining!

Protesters blame UN base for cholera in Haiti (Oct. 29)
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iN1uwE-9KLX2DhVrwJ2xFY8al04g?docId=ca81eb8dde964130890281c3409ce9f9

Anger Erupts at U.N. in Haiti as Cholera Toll Nears 1,000 (Nov. 15)
http://www.mediahacker.org/2010/11/anger-erupts-at-un-in-haiti-as-cholera-toll-nears-1000/

<http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=53567>
Thanks,
Lindsay