[act-ma] $3 a month for a stronger progressive media - OMC meeting tonight

Jason Pramas jpramas at igc.org
Wed Nov 17 08:46:51 PST 2010

(please forward widely ... especially to members of like-minded
organizations)

Boston area progressives are cordially invited to attend the

Open Media Co-operative Organizing Meeting
TONIGHT! Wednesday, November 17, 2010
6-8 p.m.
Community Church of Boston
Guatemala Room
565 Boylston St.
3rd Floor
Boston
(right near Copley Square Green and Orange Line T stops)
Map: http://bit.ly/9AbubV

**AGENDA**

The meeting will be divided into two parts.

The first part - which will last about 30 minutes - will be for the
general public and will explain the history of the idea of founding a
consumer co-op for an online news publication like Open Media Boston,
how we'd like it to work, and how people can get involved.

The second part - which will last about an hour and a half - will be for
people who decide to commit to joining the Open Media Co-op as its
founding members, pledge a minimum of (roughly) $3 a month, and get
involved with regular work on the co-op.

Light refreshments will be served.

**GOAL**

The goal of the Open Media Co-op is to help build Open Media Boston into
a progressive news publication that is sustainable over the long term.
We'd like more paid staff, we'd like to pay our freelancers, we'd like
to come out more often than weekly, and we'd like to compete with the
mainstream media for an ever-growing share of the Boston area news
audience. We think a co-op is the alternative economic organizational
form most likely to help us reach our goal.

**BACKGROUND**

As stated in a number of Open Media Boston editorials, we're starting a
co-op because we think it may be the only way to survive and thrive over
the long term - and keep on providing the kind of quality metro news
coverage and progressive editorial stances that we know our audience has
come to expect.

We also think that a co-op will be popular with our largely progressive
audience - because a co-operator will mean getting directly involved in
democratically-running a media business.

Rather than being a passive investor or donor or subscriber,
co-operators will help make Open Media Boston go - putting in some cash
and "sweat equity" every month to provide themselves with
up-to-the-minute news about their community and the world around it.
News that's produced by journalists who have a strong commitment to
democracy and social justice. To "afflicting the comfortable and
comforting the afflicted" as the old adage goes. Which unfortunately is
not the standard for news media in this day and age.

Each Open Media Co-op member will get to cast votes that determine how
the co-op runs and therefore how Open Media Boston grows over the months
and years to come. Open Media Boston will become a member-owned
publication - which we think will be a real advance - and blaze a path
for future media co-ops to follow all over the country.

**SURVEY**

We'd like to encourage anyone who is interested in the Open Media Co-op
concept to take a few minutes to fill out our survey - whether you can
make our organizing meeting or not. We'll be using the data from the
survey to gauge community interest in the concept and identify what kind
of participation we can expect from our co-operators.

Just click the following link to get to the survey on Google

http://bit.ly/cePZDY

Look forward to talking with folks at the meeting and in general.

Best regards,

Jason Pramas
Editor/Publisher
Open Media Boston