[act-ma] March is Women's History Month, including at CCB!

Commchurch.org info at commchurch.org
Thu Mar 3 11:21:12 PST 2011

COMMUNITY CHURCH OF BOSTON
"A Peace & Justice Congregation since 1920"

MARCH 2011 SUNDAY FORUMS

March 6th -- Marking International Women's Day
RICHARD KORITZ
"Two Brave Working Class Women Tested in a Time of Trial and Tribulation: A
Legacy for Our Time"

In the summer of 1955, Sara Sue Koritz and her comrade Mary Walsh Carlson
took their four children to the Massachusetts State House to protest to
Governor Christian Herter the blacklisting of their husbands which prevented
these two men from earning a living for their families. Herter, a major
ruling class political force in the USA over many decades, also stood about
six foot six inches tall. Nevertheless, he and his closest advisers took off
on an elevator out the back way rather than have to face these two women.
Both Sara Sue and Mary had a rich history of courageous struggle for justice
before this event and long afterward as well. The moral of their story is
that their nobility came from their willingness to struggle for justice for
themselves and their husbands and families as well as for the oppressed and
exploited of the earth. Their lives richly deserve celebration---and
emulation.

Richard Koritz, proud son of Sara Sue, is a member of the North Carolina
Human Relations Commission, a member of the Board of Directors of the
International Civil Rights Center and Museum (which opened at the original
Woolworth's Building site of the Sit-in here in Greensboro on February 1,
2010) and an elected member of the State Executive Board of the National
Association of Letter Carriers (AFL-CIO).

=============

March 13th -- GRACE ROSS
"Main Street Smarts: Who Got Us Into this Economic Mess and How We Get
Through It"

Grace will explore the story of Main Street, what we've experienced and the
challenges for reversing the economy for the regular people of
Massachusetts. She will explore the need to reengage in a political process
that is supposed to be for the people. In the long term ramp up to the
market crash and the immediate foreclosure crisis the people were force fed
the mythology of free markets and supply side economics, we need to equip
ourselves with the tools to fight back against these lies.

Grace Ross brings 25 years of experience working with the grassroots and
creating policy change from the municipal all the way up to the national and
international political arenas. Among her many campaigns Grace is currently
actively involved with the Mass Alliance Against Predatory Lending, fighting
to keep people in their homes.

=============

March 20th -- Rev. DOROTHY EMERSON
"Spirit, Money, and Justice"

How does our relationship with money affect us spiritually and emotionally?
What does it mean to have a healthy relationship with money? How can we best
use money to work for justice?

The Rev. Dr. Dorothy May Emerson is a Unitarian Universalist community
minister with Rainbow Solutions in Medford, Massachusetts, where she focuses
on connecting spirituality, money, and justice; consults with justice-making
organizations; and is the coordinator of the Margaret Fuller Bicentennial.
Her writings include Standing Before Us: Unitarian Universalist Women and
Social Reform 1776-1936 and the new curriculum Becoming Women of Wisdom:
Marking the Passage into the Crone Years. She is currently working on a
memoir on the 1960s.

=============

March 27th -- JUDITH WOODRUFF
"An Event that Changed America: Commemorating the 100th Anniversary of the
Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire"

On March 25, 1911, 146 garment workers--mostly young immigrant women--lost
their lives in the worst workplace disaster in New York City history (until
"9-11"). While discussing the fire and its victims, we will also look at the
history of sweatshops, the beginnings of union organizing and the dynamic
people who ultimately forced fundamental reforms of working conditions
nationally. Finally, we'll briefly consider workplace safety today.

Judith Woodruff is an educator, founder and director of International Arts
for Peace, and producer of a video about that venture that was shown on PBS.
She has organized three successful labor film festivals locally and created
a sixty-panel labor mural project on the origins of May Day. Judith has
written a book entitled The Treatment of Workers in Children's Literature
[italics, please] and developed a curriculum for young people on the world
of work.

- songs of labor struggle by Suzie Giroux

=============

DIRECTIONS/PARKING

The Community Church is located at 565 Boylston Street in Copley Square,
between Dartmouth and Clarendon Streets. Parking is available on Sunday
mornings at the Back Bay Garage (entrances on Clarendon Street or St. James
Ave.). We can provide a sticker to affix to your parking receipt and you
will be charged only $3 until 1:30pm.

By public transportation, take the Green line to Copley or take the Orange
line to Back Bay station. Community Church is a 2-4 minute walk from either
station.

=============

A PEACE AND JUSTICE CONGREGATION SINCE 1920

The Community Church of Boston is a free community of human beings united
for the study and practice of universal religion, seeking to apply ethical
ideals to individual life and the democratic and cooperative principle to
all forms of social and economic life.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT US

Rev. Jason Lydon, Minister
Community Church of Boston