[act-ma] [UJP] St. Patrick's Day Peace Parade

United for Justice with Peace ujpcoalition at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 05:46:19 PST 2011

UJP: St. Patrick's Day Peace Parade

ST. PATRICK'S DAY PEACE PARADE

When: Sunday, March 20, 2011, 2:00 pm

Where: Broadway MBTA Station • Dorchester Ave. & Broadway • do not attempt
to drive - come by T • South Boston

Themes for the Day:
·  How is the War Economy Working for You?

·  Bring the Troops Home, Take Care of Them When They Get Here

·  Cut Military Spending, Save Jobs: Teachers, Firemen, Police

·  Peace is Patriotic! “Not a Dirty Word”

Please join Veterans For Peace and other peace and social justice
organizations for this historic alternative “people’s parade” following
the official Saint Patrick’s Day Parade.

Background: Veterans for Peace were denied permission to walk in the
“Official Saint Patrick’s Day Parade”. The stated reason was because the
Allied War Veterans Council (War Council) did not want the word “peace”
associated with the word “veteran”. They also stated that Veterans For Peace
were too political for the parade. As if all the politicians, military
formations and bands in the parade are not political?

The City of Boston has issued a permit to Veterans For Peace to have The Saint
Patrick’s Day Peace Parade, immediately following the “official parade”.
Our parade is a “people’s parade for peace and justice”.

We invite all progressive groups (peace, environmental, women’s rights, civil
rights, labor, GLBT etc.) in the greater Boston area to please join us as we
follow behind the official parade.   The South Boston parade is the largest St.
Patrick's Day parade in the country and is estimated to draw one million
spectators.  This is a huge opportunity for us to get our message out!

For more information please go to: Smedleyvfp.org [1] or
email ujpcoalition at gmail.com.

For information on how your group can participate, contact:

Pat Scanlon, Veterans For Peace: 978-475-1776

United for Justice with Peace: 617-383-4857

American Friends Service Committee: 617-497-5273

		 [2]

United for Justice with Peace [3] is a coalition of peace and justice
organizations and community peace groups in the Greater Boston region. The UJP
Coalition, formed after September 11th, seeks global peace through social and
economic justice.

Help us continue to do this critical work!   Make a donation to UJP today. [4]

ujpcoalition at gmail.com [5]

            617-383-4UJP (NEW!)

            		www.justicewithpeace.org [6]

Upcoming Events:

		AFSC Campus Organizing Conference - Israel/Palestine activism [7]

		Sat Mar 5

		12:00pm

		Cesar Chavez High School

		Washington, DC

		Bring our War $$ Home on International Women's Day! [8]

		Sat Mar 5

		1:00pm

		Massachusetts State House

		Boston

		A Conversation with George Gresham [9]

		Wed Mar 16

		6:30pm

		1199 SEIU

		Dorchester

		Stand for Peace - Resist the War Machine! [10]

		Sat Mar 19

		12:00pm

		Lafayette Park and The White House

		Washington, DC

		Spring Lobby Weekend: End the War in Afghanistan [11]

		Sat Mar 19

		7:00pm

		Washington, DC

		Saint Patrick’s Day Peace Parade [12]

		Sun Mar 20

		2:00pm

		Broadway MBTA Station

		South Boston

		Fund our Future! [13]

		Tue Mar 22

		6:00pm

		Hibernian Hall

		Roxbury

		Malalai Joya and Noam Chomsky on Afghanistan [14]

		Fri Mar 25

		7:00pm

		tbd

More Peace and Justice Events [15].    How to Submit Events [16]

[1] http://www.smedleyvfp.org/
[2] http://justicewithpeace.org
[3] http://justicewithpeace.org
[4] http://justicewithpeace.org/donate