[act-ma] Reminder: Parent-Teacher Alliance Against Cuts Meeting Tonight!

Bryan Koulouris brykoulouris at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 10:32:27 PDT 2011

Dear Parents, Teachers and Community members,

This email is the first E-bulletin for the Boston Parent-Teacher Alliance!
We are a fairly new group, and we are excited that you are interested in
being involved.  Our next meeting is:
*
*
*Thursday, March 31st from 6:30-8pm *
*Jamaica Plain branch Public Library *
*12 Sedgwick Street, Jamaica Plain
Childcare will be provided
*
*This event is free and open to the public*

On March 23rd, the Boston School Committee unanimously voted to close
schools, increase class sizes, privatizing our schools (and therefore taking
away the power of parents and teachers) by way of privately manged
charters....

*The already under-funded budget was cut by $63 million more!
*
*
*
How will basic services that are already inadequate - due to lack of proper
funding - improve if the budget is cut more?  These are services include
school nurses, custodial services, heating in the school buildings, and
basic supplies like books and pencils!

Obviously, there is a disconnect between the students and teachers' needs
and the budget cuts. We need to organize for a better, safer, more equal
Boston Public School system!  The last ones who need to take cuts are our
children.  A safe, healthy community needs strong schools.  This is critical
to our children's development, and it can only be achieved through a
movement involving parents, teachers and the wider community.

*Lets come together to discuss the affects of the cuts in each school
and plan out defense of our children's education!
*
*Bring your friends!*

*In solidarity with ALL teachers, staff and fellow parents,
-The Parent-Teacher Alliance

*