[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events

George Mokray gmoke at world.std.com
Fri May 13 06:09:49 PDT 2011

Energy (and Other) Events is a weekly mailing list published most
Sundays covering events around the Cambridge, MA and greater Boston
area that catch the editor's eye.

Hubevents  http://hubevents.blogspot.com is the web version.

If you wish to subscribe or unsubscribe to Energy (and Other) Events
email gmoke at world.std.com

My notes from three recent presentations on the Arab Spring are at http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/05/13/975618/-Notes-on-the-Arab-Spring

Saturday, May 14, 2011
mit7 unstable platforms: the promise and peril of transition
Speaker: TBA
Time: 8:00a–8:00p
Location: E51
Media in Transition conference series

For this seventh Media in Transition conference we want to focus
directly on our core topic-- the experience of transition. Our first
conference in 1999 considered this subject, of course. But that was
before Facebook, iPhones, BitTorrent, IPTV and many other changes.

How are we coping with the instability of platforms? How are the
classroom, the newsroom, the corporate office exploiting digital
systems and responding to the imperative for constant upgrades. Our
libraries and archives? Our public entertainments? Are new
technologies changing the experience of reading? The experience of
watching movies or television programs? How stable, how durable are
current or emerging systems? How relevant are earlier periods of media
change to our current experience of ongoing instability and
transformation?

We'll convene May 13-15 to explore these and related questions.

Web site: http://web.mit.edu/comm-forum/mit7/index.html

Open to: the general public

Cost: free

Tickets: register on website

Sponsor(s): CMS, Communications Forum, The Technology and Culture
Forum at MIT, Literature Section, Program in Writing and Humanistic
Studies

For more information, contact:
Brad Seawell
617-253-3521
seawell at mit.edu

Saturday, May 14, 2011

MiT7 Public Forum: Archives and Cultural Memory

Speaker: Frank Marchese, Pace Digital Gallery; Julia Noordegraaf,
University of Amsterdam; Jason Rhody, Office of Digital Humanities,
NEH; Nick Monfort, MIT (moderator)

Time: 11:00a–12:30p

Location: E51, Wong Auditorium

For this seventh Media in Transition conference, we focus directly on
our core topic ? the experience of transition.

Has the digital age confirmed and exponentially increased the cultural
instability and creative destruction that are often said to define
advanced capitalism? Does living in a digital age mean we may live and
die in what the novelist Thomas Pynchon has called ?a ceaseless
spectacle of transition?? The nearly limitless range of design options
and communication choices available now and in the future is both
exhilarating and challenging, inciting innovation and creativity but
also false starts, incompatible systems, planned obsolescence. How are
we coping with the instability of platforms?

Web site: http://web.mit.edu/comm-forum/mit7/index.html
Open to: the general public
Cost: Free
Tickets: limited seating; preference given to registrants
Sponsor(s): Comparative Media Studies, Communications Forum, The
seawell at mit.edu

“Healing In Haiti: The Agape Global Health Team” by Roy Crystal, Class
of 1971
Saturday, May 14, 4PM - 5:30PM (we can all go out to dinner afterwards!)
Dudley House, Harvard Yard, Cambridge, MA

Roy Crystal, Antioch College 1971, a photographer and environmental
planner, will present his series of photographs entitled “Healing in
Haiti: the Agape Global Health Team”. The photographs were taken in
July and August 2010 and document Roy’s trip to Haiti with the Agape
Global Health Team, which set up temporary medical clinics on the
island of La Gonave, an island about the size of Martha’s Vineyard,
and in Leogane, near the earthquake epicenter.  Roy’s work included
photographically documenting the medical work of the team; taking
portraits of and interviewing Haitians who attended the clinic; and
working with a local community development organization to develop a
plan for sustainable economic development and environmental protection
of La Gonave.  Through his striking photographs of La Gonave, Port au
Prince, and Leogane, accompanied by his observations and the actual
words of patients and community members, he will make real for us the
daily challenges now faced by the Haitian people.   The team is now
working to develop a permanent medical clinic on La Gonave to address
the medical and needs of this island with limited medical facilities
whose population swelled from 100,000 to 150,000 in a few months after
the earthquake. Roy will also discuss his recommendations for
sustainable development based on the ecological opportunities and
constraints of the Haitian ecosystem, and how interested Antiochians
can help with the ongoing recovery effort.

Roy Crystal works for the regional office of the U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency in Boston, where he specializes in providing
assistance to businesses on environmental compliance and pollution
prevention.  He has a B.A. from Antioch College in Art and a Master of
Regional Planning from the University of Pennsylvania.  He has
completed numerous photographic projects, and widely exhibited his
landscape and documentary photographs. For over 30 years he has
nurtured his passion for both photography and the environment.

Sunday, May 15, 2011
mit7 unstable platforms: the promise and peril of transition
Speaker: TBA
Time: 8:00a–2:00p
[...]

Sponsor(s): Communications Forum, CMS, The Technology and Culture
seawell at mit.edu

Richard Heinberg: The End of Growth - Peak Oil and the Economy of the
Future
at the JP Forum May 15 at 3pm; FREE
6 Eliot Street, Jamaica Plain

In conjunction with the JP Forum and JP New Economy Transition we are
honored to host Richard Heinberg, of the Post Carbon Institute.
Heinberg is one of the foremost thinkers and writers on Peak Oil and
the post-carbon future.

This important talk is part of the JP New Economy Transition series.
On May 19 and May 26 there will be community events--open to all--at
which we will discuss and plan for the post-carbon future! We'll keep
you informed--or go to JP New Economy Transition for details.

Exhaust the Limits: The Life and Times of a Global Peacemaker
WHEN  Mon., May 16, 2011, 12 p.m.
WHERE  Hauser Hall, Room 102
Harvard Law School Campus
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION  Ethics, Humanities, Law, Lecture, Social
Sciences, Special Events
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR  The Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School
SPEAKER(S)  Charles F. “Chic” Dambach, president & CEO, Alliance for
Peacebuilding
COST  Free
NOTE  Chic Dambach will discuss his new memoir, "Exhaust the Limits:
The Life and Times of a Global Peacemaker," which recounts his
remarkable life story. Inspired by the leaders, causes, and music of
the 1960s, Chic set out to dedicate his life to peace-building. He
later became president of the National Peace Corps Association,
Operation Respect, and several other national organizations. "Exhaust
the Limits" is a compelling story of Chic’s lifelong dedication to the
work of peace-making, and an inspiring read for activists young and
old. For more information on the book, visit www.exhaustthelimits.org.
Sandwiches, drinks, and dessert will be served.
LINK  http://www.pon.harvard.edu/daily/exhaust-the-limits-the-life-and-times-of-a-global-peacemaker/

Western Media Partnerships with China: Opportunities and Obstacles —
An Inside Perspective

WHEN  Tue., May 17, 2011, 12:15 – 1:45 p.m.
WHERE  CGIS South, Room S153, 1730 Cambridge Street, Cambridge
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION  Humanities, Lecture, Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR  Fairbank Center for Chinese Studies: Visiting
Scholar Presentation
SPEAKER(S)  Mable Chan, journalist and visiting scholar at the
Fairbank Center for Chinese Studies
COST  Free and open to the public
CONTACT INFO  lkluz at fas.harvard.edu
NOTE  In the past decade since China joined the World Trade
Organization, the Chinese government has gradually opened up its media
market for foreign investment, co-production, and partnerships. Many
global multimedia conglomerates have swarmed in to stage a presence,
but few have yet claimed success. In the midst of a fast changing
environment that sends mixed messages of business cooperation and
government crackdown, foreign entertainment and information media
companies continue to explore new grounds for business. Drawing from
her work experience with western and Chinese TV networks, research and
interviews with journalists, media professionals, and scholars in
China and the United States, Mable Chan will discuss recent
developments and implications for western media partnerships with China.
LINK  http://fairbank.fas.harvard.edu/event/mable-chan

Monday, May 16, 20112:00pm – 3:00pm
Wyss Institute, Room 521, 3 Blackfan Circle, Boston, MA 02115

CanDo:  Computer-aided engineering for DNA Origami
Speaker:  Mark Bathe, Department of Biological Engineering, MIT
Host: Peng Yin, Core Faculty, Wyss Institute, Assistant Professor,
Department of Systems Biology, Harvard Medical School
Scaffolded DNA origami technology uniquely enables the programmed self-
assembly of complex nanometer-scale objects of precise shape,
mechanical properties, and chemical composition. The development of
efficient computational tools to predict the three-dimensional
solution shape and mechanical properties of DNA origami structures
from designed sequences is of interest to enhance the rational design
process of these structures for applications in synthetic biology and
medicine. In this talk Mark Bathe will present one such computational
tool called CanDo (Computer-aided engineering for DNA origami, http://cando.dna-origami.org
) that predicts the solution shape and mechanical properties of
scaffolded DNA origami designs based on input caDNAno (http://cadnano.org
) design files (Figure 1)[1, 2]. The utility of this design tool is
illustrated by application to a range of non-linear structures that
include internal curvature and twist. He will discuss ongoing work in
his group aimed at incorporating sequence specificity of nucleotide
hybridization free energy into this computational framework, which
will enable the automated, unsupervised design of DNA origami
structures based on target shape and property specifications.

Genevieve Bell - Divining a Digital Future

When: Monday, May 16, 2011
3:30pm - 5:00pm; refreshments served
Where: IBM Research, 1 Rogers St, Cambridge MA 02142
Free and open to the public with RSVP at http://genevieve-bell.eventbrite.com
Discounted parking at Galleria Mall, next to IBM. Bring parking ticket
for validation.
Join us at the IBM Center for Social Software for a talk with
Genevieve Bell
Intel Fellow, Intel Labs
Director, Interaction & Experience Research

Genevieve Bell joined Intel in 1998 as a researcher in Corporate
Technology Group's People and Practices Research team — Intel's first
social science oriented research team. She helped drive the company's
first non-U.S. field studies to inform business group strategy and
products and conducted groundbreaking work in urban Asia in the early
2000s. Bell has been the driving force behind Intel's emerging user-
experience focus: over the last decade, she has fundamentally changed
how Intel envisions, plans, and develops its platforms.

Bell currently leads an R&D team of social scientists, interaction
designers, human factors engineers, and a range of technology
researchers to create the next generation of compelling user
experiences across a range of internet-connected devices, platforms,
and services. She will drive user-centered experience and design
across the compute continuum.

Prior to joining Intel, Bell was a lecturer in the Department of
Anthropology at Stanford University. She has written more than 25
journal articles and book chapters on a range of subjects focused on
the intersection of technology and society. Her book, "Divining the
Digital Future," co-authored with Prof. Paul Dourish, will be released
by MIT Press in spring 2011.

Raised in Australia, Bell received her bachelor's degree in
anthropology from Bryn Mawr College in 1990. She received her master's
and doctorate degrees in anthropology from Stanford University in 1993
and 1998, respectively.

Register at http://genevieve-bell.eventbrite.com/

Tuesday, May 17, 2011
Excitonics Seminar Series:  Theory of light-harvesting in
photosynthesis: From structure to function
Speaker: Thomas Renger, Freie Universitat Berlin
Time: 3:00p–4:00p
Location: MIT 36- 428, RLE Conference Room
Web site: http://www.rle.mit.edu/excitonics/events.htm
Open to: the general public
Sponsor(s): Center for Excitonics, Energy Frontier Research Center, US
Dept. of Energy
For more information, contact:
Cathy Bourgeois
617-253-0085
cmbourg at mit.edu

Tuesday, May 17, 2011
Schmitt Lecture/Biology Colloquium
Time: 4:00p–5:00p
Location: MIT 32-123
"Switching on regeneration"
Clifford Woolf, Harvard Medical School
Web site: http://mit.edu/biology/www/biology/colloquium.html
Open to: the general public
Sponsor(s): Biology
For more information, contact:
Linda Earle
lkn at mit.edu

May 17, 2011

6:00pm - 8:30pm Smarter Living Expo
Cambridge Public Library 449 Broadway Cambridge, MA
A unique and fascinating discussion among Swiss and US building
experts to address the challenges of sustainable buildings.RSVP
requested.
http://www.formstack.com/forms/?1075391-9PneY8RRIR
sabine at swissnexboston.org
*Cambridge Climate Change Week is being organized by the Cambridge
Climate Emergency Action Group (CCEAG) and was proclaimed by the
Cambridge City Council.  You can find us on the web at www.cceag.org
or find us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/ *

7:00pm - 9:00pm "Witnesses of Climate Change"
The Laboratory at Harvard University, 52 Oxford St, Cambridge MA
Eyewitness accounts of how changing climate and extreme weather events
are already impacting people and agriculture, from Kenya and Argentina
to the U.S. Midwest.
http://cceag.org/node/13
Contact Name: John Pitkin 617 388 4448
Cambridge City Council.  You can find us on the web at www.cceag.org
or find us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/ *

Sustainability in Spain: A Global Approach Involving Major Economic,
Social and Environmental Issues
WHEN  Tue., May 17, 2011, 7:30 – 9:30 p.m.
WHERE  RCC conference room
26 Trowbridge Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION  Environmental Sciences, Lecture, Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR  Real Colegio Complutense
SPEAKER(S)  Ernest Reig, University of Valencia
COST  Free
CONTACT INFO  rcc_info at harvard.edu
NOTE  in English
LINK  http://www.realcolegicomplutense.harvard.edu

Harvard/Cambridge Walk for Peace
WHEN  Wed., May 18, 2011, 12 – 12:20 p.m.
WHERE  John Harvard Statue
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION  Ethics, Social Sciences, Special Events,
Support/Social, Working at Harvard
NOTE  Nearly 10 years of war. Thousands of American lives, hundreds of
thousands of Iraqi and Afghani lives, trillions of dollars. Come
remember, mourn, and protest.

May 18, 2011

1:15pm Webcast: Carbon Tax vs. Carbon Trading
Online
Professor Sampford outlines a number of arguments for the superiority
of carbon taxes over carbon trading schemes and outlines a proposal
for a carbon added tax.
http://carbonwebcast.eventbrite.com/
Contact Name: Portia Gama unuony at unu.edu

Wednesday, May 18, 2011
Inorganic Chemistry Seminar Series: Arturo Pizano - Nocera Group - MIT
Speaker: Arturo Pizano
Time: 4:15p–6:00p
Location: MIT 6-120
Open to: the general public
Sponsor(s): Chemistry
For more information, contact:
Macall Zimmerman
617 253-9385
coombs at mit.edu

Editorial Comment:  The Nocera Group is working on the artificial
leaf, a project that may allow each household to have an autonomous
source of electricity and heat powered by sunlight with water as the
"fuel".

Killing in the Name of God or Land? Religious Violence along
Civilizational Faultlines
WHEN  Thu., May 19, 2011, 12:15 – 2 p.m.
WHERE  Belfer Center Library, Littauer-369, Harvard Kennedy School
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION  Lecture, Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR  International Security Program
SPEAKER(S)  John F. McCauley, research fellow, Initiative on Religion
in International Affairs/International Security Program
CONTACT INFO  susan_lynch at harvard.edu
LINK  http://belfercenter.ksg.harvard.edu/events/5530/killing_in_the_name_of_god_or_land_religious_violence_along_civilizational_faultlines.html

*Thursday, May 19, afternoon*: City Sprouts Open Garden at an
elementary school to be announced.
<http://www.citysprouts.org>. *
Cambridge City Council.  You can find us on the web at www.cceag.org
or find us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/ *

Bio-inspired Adaptive Coloration of Nanomaterials
WHEN  Thu., May 19, 2011, 3 – 4 p.m.
WHERE  Pierce Hall 209
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION  Lecture, Science
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR  Kavli Institute for Bionano Science and
Technology at Harvard
SPEAKER(S)  Roger T. Hanlon, senior scientist, Marine Biological
Laboratory, Woods Hole, MA and professor, ecology & evolutionary
biology, Brown University
COST  Free. All are welcome to attend.
CONTACT INFO  Marina DiDonato-McLaughlin: marina at seas.harvard.edu,
617.495.1508
LINK  http://www.seas.harvard.edu/news-events/calendars/kavli-lectures/bio-inspired-adaptive-coloration-of-nanomaterials

**Thursday, May 19, 5:00 - 7:00pm*: TROMP Traffic Tutorial at *Central
Square intersection* by Travel Responsibility Mentoring and Outreach
Project.  The "tutorial" aims to instruct travelers about the LAWS of
the road and how ignoring them endangers others and themselves.
Cambridge City Council.  You can find us on the web at www.cceag.org
or find us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/ *

*Thursday, May 19, 7:00 - 9:00pm*: HEET Vampire Hunt and Efficiency
Ware Party.  Conducted by the Home Energy Efficiency Team.
First Church Congregational, 11 Garden St, Cambridge.
map <http://maps.google.com/maps?q=First+Church+Congregational,+11+Garden+St,+Cambridge,+MA&hl=en
Cambridge City Council.  You can find us on the web at www.cceag.org
or find us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/ *

Data visualizations: Using data to explain the world around us

Thursday, May 19, 2011
7:00 PM
Boston Globe
135 Morrissey Blvd.
Dorchester, MA 02108

Ben Fry, who is principal of Fathom, a design and software consultancy
in Boston, is a co-developer of Processing, an open source programming
environment for teaching computational design and sketching
interactive media software. The software won a Golden Nica from the
Prix Ars Electronica in 2005. The project also received the 2005
Interactive Design prize from the Tokyo Type Director's Club. In 2007,
Casey Reas and Fry published Processing: A Programming Handbook for
Visual Designers and Artists with MIT Press, and in 2010, they
published Getting Started with Processingwith O'Reilly and MAKE.
Processing 1.0 was released in November 2008, and is used by tens of
thousands of people every week.
He received his doctoral degree from the Aesthetics + Computation
Group at the MIT Media Laboratory, where his research focused on
combining fields such as computer science, statistics, graphic design,
and data visualization as a means for understanding information. After
completing his thesis, he spent time developing tools for
visualization of genetic data as a postdoc with Eric Lander at the Eli
& Edythe L. Broad Insitute of MIT & Harvard. During the 2006-2007
school year, Ben was the Nierenberg Chair of Design for the Carnegie
Mellon School of Design. At the end of 2007, he finished writing
Visualizing Data for O'Reilly.

Glenn McDonald is the designer and product manager for Needle (www.needlebase.com
), ITA Software's graph database and platform for data collection,
collation, curation, exploration, analysis and republishing. He is
also the court statistician for heavy metal, and a caped data
vigilante. He believes that data is important, and that computers can
and should be tools for people to make sense out of what they
supposedly know. ITA and Needlebase were recently acquired by Google.

Daigo Fujiwara, an infographics designer for the Boston Globe/
boston.com, was born and grew up in Japan. He came to Massachusetts as
a high school foreign exchanging student and as a baseball fanatic,
found himself right at home with Red Sox Nation right at home. He has
also worked at the Christian Science Monitor, Inc Magazine and
FastCompany Magazine.

Plenty of parking & access from the Red Line. (It's a 5 min walk from
the JFK/UMass stop.)

http://meetupbos.hackshackers.com/events/16987682/?a=me1p_lnm&rv=me1p

Linking Food Production, Nature Conservation, and Sovereignty: Land
Use in the Chaco Region of Northern Argentina
WHEN  Thu., May 19, 2011, 7:30 – 9:30 p.m.
WHERE  RCC conference room
26 Trowbridge Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
GAZETTE CLASSIFICATION  Environmental Sciences, Lecture, Social Sciences
ORGANIZATION/SPONSOR  Real Colegio Complutense
SPEAKER(S)  Cristina Herrero
COST  Free
CONTACT INFO  rcc_info at harvard.edu
NOTE  in English
LINK  http://www.realcolegicomplutense.harvard.edu

Friday, May 20, 7:30pm*:  Fred Small concert at First Parish in
Cambridge UU, 1446 Mass. Ave.  Many of his songs have an environmental
theme.
map <http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=First%20Parish%20Church>
http://www.firstparishcambridge.org/ *
Cambridge City Council.  You can find us on the web at www.cceag.org
or find us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/ *

yards, containers, roofs, wherever! Cambridge Main Library conference
room, 449 Broadway.
map <http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Cambridge+Main+Library&hl=en> *
Cambridge City Council.  You can find us on the web at www.cceag.org
or find us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/ *

Saturday, May 21, Noon - 3:30pm*: *Climate Week Finale: ActionFest*.
Action oriented booths, speakers, commitments project, food. Celebrate
our community's efforts and commit to specific actions you will take
to fight climate change.
*Cambridge College, 1000 Mass Ave.
*map <http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Cambridge+College,+1000+Mass+Ave.&hl=en
Cambridge City Council.  You can find us on the web at www.cceag.org
or find us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/ *

GREEN Entrepreneur Small Business Forum

Come to the Codman Square section of Dorchester on Saturday, May 21st,
from 10:00 AM until 2:00 PM.

Talk to our panel of experienced GREEN and small business owners!

Meet knowledgeable professionals who can help you move your business
ideas from thought to action!

Learn what you need to know about MBE/WBE; Bank Financing and programs
with the SBA at our workshops!

Seating is limited, you MUST pre-register

To register and for more information, contact Owen at

(617) 427-6293 – otoney at comcast.net

or Go to the Link Below

www.foundationforagreenfuture.org/upcoming_events

Green Entrepreneur Small Business Forum

presented by Green Neighbors Education Committee and Foundation for a
Green Future, Inc

Have you been considering starting a green or small business?

Are you ready to become a Massachusetts Entrepreneur?

Are you currently a small or GREEN business owner?

When:  Saturday, May 21 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM

Where:  Codman Square Area, Dorchester, MA

Cost:  FREE!

Seating is limited, you MUST pre-register*

Exciting and Knowledgeable Guest Speakers

Q & A Panel with Experienced GREEN Entrepreneurs and Small Business
Owners

Workshops:

TD Bank - Applying for Bank Financing:  What You Need to Know

U. S. Small Business Advantage - The SBA Advantage:  An overview of
SBA's programs and services

How to Become an MBE/WBE and Get State Contracts (Become a State
Recognized Minority or Women-Owned Business)

*To register and for more information, contact Own at (617) 427-6293 - otoney at comcast.net
  or go to http://www.foundationforagreenfuture.org/upcoming_events

------------
**********

Upcoming

------------

2011 GoGreen Awards

The City of Cambridge invites you to a breakfast to celebrate business
and institutional leaders who have taken action to create a more
sustainable future.

SwissNex Boston/ Consulate of Switzerland 420 Broadway Thursday, May
26, 2011 8:30-10:00 AM

Join business and community leaders working on energy, transportation,
waste reduction, stormwater management

and other climate protection actions as we recognize this year’s award
winners.

Thank you to Swissnex for the generous use of their facility.

If you are driving, please allow extra time due to Harvard
commencement that morning.

RSVP to 617-349-4604 or randers at cambridgema.gov.

May 27 - 30
"The Future of Biological Prototyping" - a diybio hackathon
http://futurelabcamp.com/

Coming to Boston....
Green Fire:  Aldo Leopold and a Land Ethic for Our Time
Join us at the Stuart Street Playhouse!
See the first full-length, high-definition documentary film ever made
about legendary conservationist Aldo Leopold and his environmental
legacy at the Stuart Street Playhouse in Boston! Green Fire shares
highlights from his extraordinary career, explaining how he shaped
conservation and the modern environmental movement.

The film also illustrates Leopold's continuing influence, exploring
current projects that connect people and land at the local level. Meet
urban children in Chicago learning about local foods and ecological
restoration. Meet ranchers in Arizona and New Mexico who maintain
healthy landscapes by working on their own properties, and with their
neighbors, in cooperative community conservation efforts. Meet
wildlife biologists who are bringing threatened and endangered
species, from cranes to Mexican wolves, back to the landscapes where
they once thrived. Viewers will learn how Leopold's vision of a
community that cares about both people and land ties all of these
modern conservation stories together, and offers inspiration and
insight for the future.

Learn more...

DATE: Thursday, June 2, 2011
TIME: Doors open at 6:00pm; remarks and film begin at 6:30pm
LOCATION: Stuart Street Playhouse
ADDRESS: 200 Stuart Street, Boston, MA 02116
TICKETS: Available through Brown Paper Tickets, $8 advance/$10 door
MORE INFORMATION: http://www.greenfiremovie.com

-----------

Resource

-----------

The presentations from the recent Affordable Comfort National Home
Performance Conference are available online at
http://2011.acinational.org/downloadable_resources

Lots of good information from what some call the best energy
conference in the USA on Deep Energy Retrofits to Community Energy
Challenges with details on insulation, heat flow, energy metering,
ducting, hot water, and many, many other topics.  If you are a
practical energy wonk, this should make your eyes light up.

Free Monthly Energy Analysis

CarbonSalon is a free service that every month can automatically track
your energy use and compare it to your past energy use (while
controlling for how cold the weather is). You get a short friendly
email that lets you know how you’re doing in your work to save energy.

https://www.carbonsalon.com/

---------------------------------------

Boston Food System

"The Boston Food System [listserv] provides a forum to post
announcements of events, employment opportunities, internships,
programs, lectures, and other activities as well as related articles
or other publications of a non-commercial nature covering the area's
food system - food, nutrition, farming, education, etc. - that take
place or focus on or around Greater Boston (broadly delineated)."

The Boston area is one of the most active nationwide in terms of food
system activities - projects, services, and events connected to food,
farming, nutrition - and often connected to education, public health,
environment, arts, social services and other arenas.   Hundreds of
organizations and enterprises cover our area, but what is going on
week-to-week is not always well publicized.

Hence, the new Boston Food System listserv, as the place to let
everyone know about these activities.  Specifically:
Use of the BFS list will begin soon, once we get a decent base of
subscribers.  Clarification of what is appropriate to announce and
other posting guidelines will be provided as well.

----------------------

Artisan Asylum  http://artisansasylum.com/

Sprout & Co:  Community Driven Investigations  http://thesprouts.org/studios

Greater Boston Solidarity Economy Mapping Project  http://www.transformationcentral.org/solidarity/mapping/mapping.html
a project by Wellesley College students that invites participation,
contact jmatthaei at wellesley.edu

Links to events at 60 colleges and universities at Hubevents   http://hubevents.blogspot.com

Thanks to

Fred Hapgood's Selected Lectures on Science and Engineering in the
Boston Area  http://fhapgood.fastmail.fm/site02.html

Boston Area Computer User Groups  http://www.bugc.org/

http://www.mitenergyclub.org/calendar/mit_events_template

http://sustainability.mit.edu/