[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events

George Mokray gmoke at world.std.com
Sun May 29 18:07:30 PDT 2011

Energy (and Other) Events is a weekly mailing list published most
Sundays covering events around the Cambridge, MA and greater Boston
area that catch the editor's eye.

Hubevents  http://hubevents.blogspot.com is the web version.

If you wish to subscribe or unsubscribe to Energy (and Other) Events
email gmoke at world.std.com

My notes from three recent presentations on the Arab Spring are at http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/05/13/975618/-Notes-on-the-Arab-Spring

Monday, May 30, 2011
Archiprix International
Time: 9:00a–8:00p
This event occurs daily through June 7, 2011.
Location: 7-431, and in the corridors surrounding the Lobby 7 dome on
the fourth floor

A global design competition for the world's best thesis projects in
architecture, urban design and landscape architecture, including an
exhibit of all 300 entries and a series of design workshops for 100 of
the represented students.

Web site: http://www.archiprix.org/2011/
Open to: the general public
Sponsor(s): School of Architecture and Planning
For more information, contact:
Alexander D'Hooghe
617 308 7386
adhooghe at mit.edu

-----------------------------------

Monday May 30, 2011 — 8pm at Middlesex Lounge
315 Mass Ave, Cambridge In Central Square
Boston Nerd Night:  Psychopaths and Slot Machines
$5

Featuring Nerd-appropriate tunes by Claude Money

Talk 1. “Free Money: The Art and Science of Beatable Slot Machines”

by Zach Alexander

Talk 2. “Stalking the Sasquatch; Or, Are There Psychopaths Among Us?”
by John Fennel

http://boston.nerdnite.com/2011/05/23/nerdnite-may-30-psychopaths-and-slot-machines/
  for more information about the speakers and the talks.

Communicating Trustworthiness - Drivers of Online Trust
Miriam Meckel, University of St. Gallen
Tuesday, May 31, 12:30 pm
Berkman Center, 23 Everett Street, second floor
RSVP required for those attending in person to Amar Ashar (ashar at cyber.law.harvard.edu
)
This event will be webcast (http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/interactive/webcast
) live at 12:30 pm ET and archived on our site shortly after.

User trust has been identified as a key success factor of online
business: A user's willingness to provide personal data is a
prerequisite for online transactions. Research has shown that this
willingness is based on the perceived trustworthiness of the
transaction partner. While antecedents of online trust have been
studied extensively from a marketing and information systems
perspective very little is known about the role of corporate
communication in online trust management. Our studies in this field
based on qualitative and quantitative analysis (indepth interviews and
standardized sampling) examine trust in online businesses
distinguished by industries and business models. We identify 9 core
drivers of online trust from a corporate communication's as well as
the user's perspective and differentiate the contribution of the
corporate communication function to these drivers. Communicating
trustworthiness is more than luck of the draw. It is based on an
approach of strategic communication based on premises that will become
increasingly important in digital life.

About Miriam
Miriam Meckel, PhD., holds a professorship for Corporate Communication
at the University of St. Gallen, Switzerland, and is the Managing
Director of the Institute for Media and Communication Management
(since 2005). She is also an adviser for Public Affairs and Business
Communication.

---------------------------------------

Wednesday, June 01, 2011
Interdisciplinary Workshop on Information and Decision in Social
Networks
Speaker: Daron Acemoglu (MIT), Nicholas Christakis (Harvard), Martin
Nowak (Harvard), Sandy Pentland (MIT)
Time: 8:30a–6:00p
Location: E14-674
Recent technological and mathematical developments have opened the
possibility to considerably improve our understanding of how
information flows and decisions are made in large social networks. In
this workshop, we bring together researchers from different
communities working on information propagation and decision making in
social networks to investigate both rigorous models that highlight
capabilities and limitations of such networks as well as empirical and
simulations studies of how people exchange information, influence each
other, make decisions and develop social interactions.

This workshop is being organized by the Laboratory for Information and
Decision Systems. Pre-registration is required.

Web site: http://wids.lids.mit.edu/
Open to: the general public
Sponsor(s): LIDS Events Calendar
For more information, contact:
Jennifer Donovan
617-253-2142
jdonovan at mit.edu

Wednesday, June 01, 2011
Innovation Series Event: Offshore Wind in New England: Lessons
Learned, The Way Forward
Speaker: Ian Bowles, former Massachusetts Secretary of Energy and
Environmental Affairs.
Time: 5:30p–9:00p
Location: 32-123
The north-east US is one of the world?s premier opportunities for
offshore wind energy ? a 1000 mile coastline with a wide continental
shelf on one side and major population centers on the other. Offshore
wind technology continues to advance, but Cape Wind?s experience in
developing the first major offshore site in the US has shown us that
the challenges to further development are political and social, as
well as economic.

What are the prospects and the challenges? Where do we go from here?

Web site: http://www.mitforumcambridge.org/events/june-innovation-series-event-on-the-the-future-of-offshore-wind-in-the-north-east/
Open to: the general public
Cost: Free to students with a valid ID
Tickets: http://www.mitforumcambridge.org/events/june-innovation-series-event-on-the-the-future-of-offshore-wind-in-the-north-east/
Sponsor(s): MIT Enterprise Forum of Cambridge
For more information, contact:
Amy Goggins
617-253-3937
entforumcambridge at mit.edu

Eli Pariser  explains
The Filter Bubble:  What the Internet Is Hiding from You

Wednesday, June 1, 2011
7:00 PM
Location
Harvard Book Store
1256 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, MA 02138

This event is free; no tickets are required.
Harvard Book Store is very pleased to welcome former executive
director and current board president of MoveOn.org ELI PARISER as he
discusses his new book, The Filter Bubble: What the Internet Is Hiding
from Us.

In December 2009, Google began customizing its search results for each
user. Instead of giving you the most broadly popular result, Google
now tries to predict what you are most likely to click on. According
to Eli Pariser, Google's change in policy is symptomatic of the most
significant shift to take place on the Web in recent years—the rise of
personalization. In this investigation of the new hidden Web, Pariser
uncovers how this growing trend threatens to control how we consume
and share information as a society.

Though the phenomenon has gone largely undetected until now,
personalized filters are sweeping the Web, creating individual
universes of information for each of us. Facebook—the primary news
source for an increasing number of Americans—prioritizes the links it
believes will appeal to you so that if you are a liberal, you can
expect to see only progressive links. Even an old-media bastion like
The Washington Post devotes the top of its home page to a news feed
with the links your Facebook friends are sharing. Behind the scenes a
burgeoning industry of data companies is tracking your personal
information to sell to advertisers, from your political leanings to
the color you painted your living room to the hiking boots you just
browsed on Zappos.

In a personalized world, we will increasingly be typed and fed only
news that is pleasant, familiar, and confirms our beliefs—and because
these filters are invisible, we won't know what is being hidden from
us. Our past interests will determine what we are exposed to in the
future, leaving less room for the unexpected encounters that spark
creativity, innovation, and the democratic exchange of ideas.
General Info
(617) 661-1515
info at harvard.com

Media Inquiries
(617) 661-1424 x1
rbcass at harvard.com

---------------------------------------

In a special Green Innovators in Business Network "Growing GIBN"
webinar on June 2 at 12pm ET, Farron Levy, founder and president of
True Impact, will join us to talk about his efforts to define measures
and develop tools to track the "Triple Bottom Line."
Farron will talk about how True Impact approaches the problem of
motivating and measuring beyond-compliance activities and demonstrate
an online tool they have developed. Together, we'll discuss
experiences with these issues and how these types of tools are helpful
for sharingbest practices and develop benchmarks.

Date: June 2, 2011
Time: 12pm ET
Register for the webinar online at:  https://cc.readytalk.com/cc/schedule/display.do?udc=d3gf09raxycc

Dial-in at (760) 569-9000, code: 160031#

True Impact (http://www.trueimpact.com) provides web-based tools and
consulting services to help organizations quantify the social,
financial, and environmental return on investment (ROI) of their
corporate citizenship activities.  True Impact's "triple bottom line"
evaluations have been adopted by Allstate, Deloitte, GE, Home Depot,
PNC Bank, and Verizon among others.

About Farron Levy
Farron Levy, founder and president of True Impact, was previously a
consultant with social auditing firm SmithOBrien and economic
consultancy Industrial Economics, Inc; and has served as an advisor to
City Year, New Profit, and CitySoft.  He is on the faculty of Boston
College's Center for Corporate Citizenship, where he teaches
coursework on ROI evaluation.  Farron earned an MPP from Harvard
University, and a BS with university honors from Carnegie Mellon
University.

PechaKucha Boston   6/2 at 6:00pm
FREE ADMISSION!

An event for young designers to meet, network, and show their work.
Drawing its name from the Japanese term for "chit chat", it rests on a
presentation format that is based on a simple idea: 20 images x 20
seconds.

OBERON is located at 2 Arrow Street, Cambridge MA, 02138

Coming to Boston....
Green Fire:  Aldo Leopold and a Land Ethic for Our Time
Join us at the Stuart Street Playhouse!
See the first full-length, high-definition documentary film ever made
about legendary conservationist Aldo Leopold and his environmental
legacy at the Stuart Street Playhouse in Boston! Green Fire shares
highlights from his extraordinary career, explaining how he shaped
conservation and the modern environmental movement.

The film also illustrates Leopold's continuing influence, exploring
current projects that connect people and land at the local level. Meet
urban children in Chicago learning about local foods and ecological
restoration. Meet ranchers in Arizona and New Mexico who maintain
healthy landscapes by working on their own properties, and with their
neighbors, in cooperative community conservation efforts. Meet
wildlife biologists who are bringing threatened and endangered
species, from cranes to Mexican wolves, back to the landscapes where
they once thrived. Viewers will learn how Leopold's vision of a
community that cares about both people and land ties all of these
modern conservation stories together, and offers inspiration and
insight for the future.

DATE: Thursday, June 2, 2011
TIME: Doors open at 6:00pm; remarks and film begin at 6:30pm
LOCATION: Stuart Street Playhouse
ADDRESS: 200 Stuart Street, Boston, MA 02116
TICKETS: Available through Brown Paper Tickets, $8 advance/$10 door
MORE INFORMATION: http://www.greenfiremovie.com

6/2/2011
Discussion/Signing - John Quackenbush
The Human Genome: Book of Essential Knowledge (Curiosity Guides). The
DNA sequence that comprises the human genome--the genetic blueprint
found in each of our cells--is undoubtedly the greatest code ever to
be broken. Completed at the dawn of a new millennium, the feat
electrified both the scientific community and the general public with
its tantalizing promise of new and better treatments for countless
diseases, including Alzheimer's, cancer, diabetes, and Parkinson's.
Yet what is arguably the most important discovery of our time has also
opened a Pandora's box of questions about who we are as humans and how
the unique information stored in our genomes can and might be used,
making it all the more important for everyone to understand the new
science of genomics.
Time: 07:00 PM-08:00 PM
Location: Level 3
Recurrence: One Time Event
Place:  Harvard Coop, Harvard Square

Friday, June 03, 2011
Sustainable Design at MIT: Active Owner Engagement Leads to High
Performance Buildings
Time: 3:15p–5:00p
Location: 10-250
Join this special Tech Reunions panel for an invigorating update about
new campus green buildings and the sustainable design strategies being
put into place. The panel will explore the critical role an active,
engaged building owner (in this case MIT) can have in shaping the
performance of the completed building and its energy efficiency.

Panelists include:
Representing the lead designer's perspective:
Lynne Brooks, AIA, LEED, Principal, Bruner/Cott Architects and Planners

Representing the engineering designer's perspective: Edward D. Allen,
P.E., LEED AP, Vice President, van Zelm Engineers
and the owner's perspective:
Walt Henry, P.E. , Director, Systems Engineering Group, MIT Department
of Facilities

Moderated by Steve Lanou MCP '98, MIT's Deputy Director, Environmental
Sustainability.
Alumni, students and MIT Community members not attending reunions are
welcome to attend, but seating is limited. Please email alumnienergy at mit.edu
  if you'd like to register to attend.

Open to: the general public

Cost: Free

Tickets: email alumnienergy at mit.edu

Sponsor(s): MIT Alumni Association

For more information, contact:
Christine Tempesta
617-253-8222
alumnienergy at mit.edu

Name: spacer.gif
Type: image/gif
-------------- next part --------------

32nd ANNUAL CAMBRIDGE RIVER FESTIVAL
Saturday, June 4, 2011, 12:00 Noon - 6:00 p.m.
Rain or Shine!

Join us for this one-day celebration of the arts, attracting 200,000
annually. This FREE event along the banks of the Charles River
features jazz, folk, Latin and world music performances, dance, art
demonstrations, family art-making activities and over 100 specialty
food purveyors and craftspeople!

Riverbend Park, Memorial Drive

http://www2.cambridgema.gov/CAC/Community/2011_Cambridge_River_Fest.cfm

-------------

**********

Upcoming

------------

The FuturICT Flagship - A talk with Prof. Dirk Helbing
what  Discussion, Workshop
when  2011-06-06 from 18:00 to 20:30
where  swissnex Boston, 420 Broadway, 02138 Cambridge, MA
contact name  Sabine Ledermann
contact email  sabine at swissnexboston.org

Discover an European Platform to mitigate techno-socio-economic crises!
Today, we know more about the universe than about our society. It's
time to use the power of information to explore social and economic
life on Earth and discover options for a sustainable future. Together,
we can manage the challenges of the 21st century, combining the best
of all knowledge. Please join us for a unique and fascinating lecture
about the future with modern information technology with Prof. Helbing*.

The ultimate goal of the FuturICT flagship project is to understand
and manage complex, global, socially interactive systems, with a focus
on sustainability and resilience. Revealing the hidden laws and
processes underlying societies probably constitutes the most pressing
scientific grand challenge of our century and is equally important for
the development of novel robust, trustworthy and adaptive information
and communication technologies (ICT), based on socially inspired
approaches.
Integrating ICT, Complexity Science and the Social Sciences will
create a paradigm shift, facilitating a symbiotic co-evolution of ICT
and society. Data from our complex globe-spanning ICT system will be
leveraged to develop models of techno-socio-economic systems. In turn,
insights from these models will inform the development of a new
generation of socially adaptive, self-organized ICT systems.

FuturICT as a whole will act as a Knowledge Accelerator, turning
massive data into knowledge and technological progress. In this way,
FuturICT will create the scientific methods and ICT platforms needed
to address planetary-scale challenges and opportunities in the 21st
century. Specifically, FuturICT will build a sophisticated simulation,
visualization and participation platform, called the Living Earth
Platform. This platform will power Crisis Observatories, to detect and
mitigate crises, and Participatory Platforms, to support the decision-
making of policy-makers, managers, and citizens.
Swiss style reception to follow.
Please R.S.V.P., seats are limited!

Name: logo_ethz.png
Type: image/png
-------------- next part --------------

*Dirk Helbing was born on January 19, 1965. He studied Physics and
Mathematics, but was always interested in other fields of science as
well. In the year 2000, he became Professor and Managing Director of
the Institute for Transport & Economics at Dresden University of
Technology, and in 2007 he was appointed Professor of Sociology, in
particular of Modeling and Simulation, at ETH Zürich. Since 2008, he
is elected member of the German Academy of Sciences "Leopoldina".
More than 200 publications in different scientific fields, 300 talks
and more than 300 reports in the public media reflect his wide field
of interest, reaching from traffic science over crowds and disaster
management to biologically inspired logistics. He also had projects
with Xerox PARC, Volkswagen, SCA Packaging, Siemens, PTV, further
companies, and various foundations.

Helbings's team developed a traffic assistance system and patented the
principle of a self-organized traffic light control, which implements
massively parallel, decentralized control concepts for the
optimization of traffic flows. The resulting increase of performance
and the higher flexibility are based on latest developments in the
understanding of complex systems. Companies and societies are other
examples of such complex systems. This is also the reason why Dirk
Helbing is interested in sociology.
Apart from developing information portals to accelerate scientific
innovation, he is particularly interested in techno-social systems,
which will determine the future of Web2.0. Furthermore, he is the
chairman of the newly established ETH Competence Center "Coping with
Crises in Complex Socio-Economic Systems", which will develop computer
models of crisis scenarios and finally provide decision support for
politics and economy.

*Skillshare: Time Banking in the Time Trade Circle****
Monday, June 6
6-8:30PM*
The NonProfit Center by South Station
Looking for an alternative economy? Need a ride to the airport, help
with your garden or a massage? This workshop will talk about time
banking - exchanging services based on time - and tell you all about
the Time Trade Circle (TTC), a local time bank with 800+ members all
over the greater metro-Boston and Eastern-Mass area. The workshop will
explain how to join if you are interested, and forms will be
available. I'll explain how time banking is different from bartering,
how our local Time Trade Circle time bank works, what kinds of
services people trade, and how members participate through their
online account.
www.TimeTradeCircle.org<http://www.timetradecircle.org/>
*Learn more and RSVP:** *http://www.sojust.org/events/17664391/*
*(bring your own dinner)

ew England Wind Energy Education Project (NEWEEP) Conference/Workshop
Volunteer Opportunities

June 07, 2011  8:00a–8:00p

The conference/workshop will focus on presenting balanced information
relevant to issues of importance to individuals and communities
affected by wind energy proposals throughout New England, including
environmental and economic benefits as well as siting concerns. Our
goal is to ensure that participants know where to go to obtain the
latest research, identify areas where more research is needed, and
identify strategies for continuing the NEWEEP effort.

This one-day conference/workshop will start with presentations and
discussion panels. In addition, facilitated breakout sessions will
allow participants to collectively brainstorm issues associated with
wind development, siting, and permitting, and to identify areas where
more credible research is needed and how to oversee and fund it.

NEWEEP's premise is that wind energy has benefits and that responsibly-
sited wind power has a role to play in New England, but, not every
place is the right place for wind generation. NEWEEP's mission is to
seek and make available the best information possible to support good
decisions.

Category:  lectures/conferences

Location:  Best Western Royal Plaza, Marlborough, MA

Sponsored by:  MIT Energy Campus Events

Admission:  Open to the public

For more information:  Contact Kathryn Craddock

kcraddock at seadvantage.com

http://www.windpoweringamerica.gov/newengland/neweep/index.asp

June 10, 2011
New England Electricity Restructuring Roundtable:
Better Integrating Policy, Planning, and Electricity Markets in New
England

Raab Associates presents:
The 123rd NE Electricity Restructuring Roundtable
Date: Friday, June 10, 2011
Time: 9:00 am to 12:30 pm

Foley Hoag LLP
155 Seaport Boulevard, 13th Floor
Boston, MA 02210

-----
Better Integrating Policy, Planning,
and Electricity Markets in New England

New England has spent nearly two decades restructuring its electric
utility industry, and developing more competitive market structures,
ostensibly to bring enhanced benefits to customers.  During the same
time period, federal, state, and even local governments have developed
a multitude of energy policies to encourage the development of
particular resources, such as energy efficiency, demand response, and
renewable energy (think RPS, energy efficiency and renewable energy
system benefit charges, demand response initiatives), while
discouraging other resources (think RGGI, various environmental
regulations, etc.). Other types of policies and planning frameworks
impact the choice between building more wires or more resources. Some
states are even putting out RFPs to develop very specific types of
resources.  This Roundtable will explore the tensions between the
desire for both workable markets and a variety of public policy
objectives, and will consider how we can move forward to forge a more
workable system here in New England.

Our first panel takes a step back from the specific struggles within
New England to explore how these issues are playing out on the ground
nationally, providing some bold ideas for New Englanders to consider.
Former FERC Commissioner Nora Brownell will kick off the panel by
discussing how markets can successfully accommodate a wide range of
policy/planning objectives. Rich Sedano, Principal at the Regulatory
Assistance Project, will share work RAP is currently undertaking to
redefine the way markets and policy/planning should be integrated in
pursuit of "Responsive Resources." Finally, Mauricio del Valle, Vice
President, Global Power and Utility Group, Morgan Stanley, will
provide some reality-testing from Wall Street about what's actually
needed from markets and policy to get energy projects funded and built.

Our second panel focuses specifically on the current situation in New
England, and offers some thoughts on what we should do over the next
five to ten years to better integrate electricity markets and policy/
planning. Leading off the panel will be Gordon van Welie, President/
CEO of ISO New England, which is responsible for keeping the lights on
and operating the markets in the face of increasing complexity.
Massachusetts DPU Chair Ann Berwick will provide a state regulatory
perspective, followed by Daniel Weekley, Vice President of Government
Affairs at Dominion Resources, who will provide a generator
perspective (and reflect on Dominion's just-announced decision to
close Salem Harbor). Rounding out the panel will be Mary Healey,
Consumer Counsel for the State of Connecticut and immediate past
president of the National Association of State Utility Consumer
Advocates.

The Restructuring Roundtables are free and open to the public.
Advanced registration is not required.

The Restructuring Roundtable has been meeting bimonthly since 1995, to
discuss current topics related to revolutionary changes in the
electric power industry in Massachusetts and throughout New England.
It is supported by over 25 generous sponsors.

Jonathan Raab, Ph.D, moderator of the Roundtable, is president of Raab
Associates, Ltd, a Boston-based mediation and facilitation firm
specializing in energy and environmental issues. He also teaches the
sustainable energy policy class at MIT.

Raab Associates, 118 South St. 3A, Boston, MA 02111
tel. 617-350-5544 fax 617-350-6655
http://www.RaabAssociates.org

Greater Boston Connected and Consequential Conference: June 10, 11 and
12
June 10 & 11  Egan Center, Northeastern University
June 12  Design Studio for Social Intervention?

A place for artists and other creative thinkers and practitioners to
gather and explore the intersection of art and other fields, including
Health, Nature, Consumption and Justice. Through case studies and
moderated discussions, conference participants will?learn how artists
and their collaborators are using their creativity and finely honed
skills to intervene in the major issues of our time to produce
positive social outcomes.? The proceedings will focus on the best ways
to develop successful?"integrated or hybrid?practices", including the
role of collaboration, research, technology and sustainability.

The conference is free, but please pre-register online at
http://www.artistsincontext.org/index.php/connected-a-consequential/greater-boston/greater-boston-conference.html

Friday, June 10 at Northeastern University, Egan Center,120 Forsyth
Street,
Boston, MA 02115
6:30-8:30 p.m.  Stories from the Field, with artists and community
practitioners Gail Burton, New Freedwoman Project; Michael Dowling,
Medicine Wheel Productions; Mariama White-Hammond, Project Hip Hop;
Andi Sutton, National Bitter Melon Council; John Osorio-Buck;
moderated by Kenneth Bailey, Design
Studio for Social Intervention

Saturday, June 11 at Northeastern University, Egan Center,120 Forsyth
Street, Boston, MA 02115
8:00 a.m. Registration and Breakfast

9:00 a.m. Introductory Remarks and Video, Marie Cieri and Louisa
McCall, Artists in Context

9:15 a.m. Jeremy Nobel, Art and Healing
Jeremy Nobel is an Adjuncy Lecturer on Health Policy and Management
Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public
Health and President and Founder, Foundation for Art and Healing

9:30-10:30 a.m. Case Study: SUGAR and Story Circles with artist Robbie
McCauley
Moderated by Jeremy Nobel, the discussion of story circles and their
impact on diabetics, attitude, care-taking and healing will include
Sharon Jackson, Mattapan Community Health Center, and Kathryn, a story
circle participant. The case study will also examine how community
interest and desire for this type of engagement are determined.

10:35-11:35 a.m. Case Study: Ideas Team with Artistic Director of
Artlink, Edinburgh, Alison Stirling, and artists Kelly Dobson, Steve
Hollingsworth and Wendy Jacob
How can people with profound developmental disabilities inform an
artistic process? How do you bring people together to further inform
and realize these ideas? In February, a group of artists, engineers,
arts administrators and case workers met in Edinburgh to discuss the
creation of a center part ideas laboratory, part university and part
day center where individuals from across a range of abilities and
disciplines could collaborate on creative projects that challenge
normative ways of communication and being in the world. The aim of the
center is to use the most cutting edge ideas for the most
disadvantaged people.

11:45-12:30 p.m. Open Time  networking and resource tables

12:30-1:30 p.m. Lunch, Judy Meredith, Institute for Public Policy
Negotiating Change with Power

1:30-2:30 p.m. Case Study: Crossing the Rubicon: On Contamination,
Tragedy and the Possibility of New Cultures with Dan Borelli, artist;
Gavin Kroeber, producer; moderated by Marie Cieri, Artists in Context
Environmental contamination may be perpetrated by specific individuals
and corporations, but the cultural conditions that permit such
disregard are
collectively produced.? Starting from the environmental and social
histories of Ashland, MA and the Nyanza EPA Superfund site that it is
home to, this talk explores the possibility of an artwork that can
trace a society?s failure to address its own excesses, honor the
victims and heroes of this history, and finally lay the ground for a
fundamentally more complex relationship within our community.

2:35-3:35 p.m. Case Study: The Story Behind with Mario E. Quiroz-
Servellon, artist; Franklin Soults, Communications Director,
Massachusetts Immigrant and Refugee and Advocacy Coalition; moderator
TBD

3:45-5:00 p.m. Wrap Up Community Discussion

5:00-6:00 p.m. Open Time  networking and resource tables

Sunday, June 12 at the Design Studio for Social Intervention, 1946
Washington Street, 2nd Floor, Boston, MA 02118 (entrance on Thorndike
Street)
10:30-1:00 p.m. Conference reflections, discussion and networking

------------------------------

Come Celebrate Magazine Beach
Saturday, June 11
9 am to 3 pm

9am to 12 pm Cleanup:  Meet at Riverside Boat Club (across from
Starbucks)
12 pm to 2 pm Picnic/Potluck/Barbecue with music by Best Ever Chicken
(behind DCR swimming pool)
1 pm to 3 pm Learn to Row at Riverside Boat Club
RSVP for clean up at lcw at thecharles.org
For further information, including rain date updates (rain date is
Sunday, June 12), go to http://www charlesriverconservancy.org, http://www.riversideboatclub.com
, or contact Cathie Zusy at cathzusy at gmail.com or 617-868-0489

Global Pitchfest" - International Start-up Competition
Thursday, June 16, 2011 from 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM (ET)
Boston, MA

Switzerland’s most outstanding young innovators journey to Boston
every year for an entrepreneurial “boot camp” called venture leaders,
and you are invited to this year’s finale.
Coordinated by venturelab and swissnex Boston, this year’s 20 selected
startups range from medtech to iPhone apps. They will undergo ten days
of training culminating in the Global Pitchfest 2011 at MassChallenge
on June 16.

Over drinks and high-powered networking, come out to see the venture
leaders show off the skills they learned in Boston. They will pitch
their ideas to the top start-ups and investors from the Boston area,
while competing against 20 local counterparts for airline tickets
courtesy Swiss International Airlines. You choose the winners with
your votes!

Come and join us for this exiting "Global Pitchfest" and have a chance
to select the winner of the night.

Organizers:
Visit the following link for additional information on the
entrepreneurs visiting from Switzerland:http://www.swissnexboston.org/activities/ventureleaders
For local startup teams: We are looking for 20 entrepreneurs who would
like to take advantage of this opportunity to get visibility for their
companies. If you are interested in joining the lineup of presenters,
please contact Thomas Boillat (thomas at swissnexboston.org).

MassChallenge: MassChallenge is running the largest-ever global
startup competition and accelerator to catalyze the launch and success
of high-growth, high-impact new businesses. Around 100 of the highest-
potential entrants will receive intensive mentorship and other free
resources, including office space and targeted introductions to
customers and funding sources. The very best startups will be
identified by expert judges to receive cash awards toward launching
their businesses.

swissnex Boston: They act as a physical and virtual environment
fostering closer ties between Switzerland, New England and Eastern
Canada in academia, industry and society. It places particular
emphasis on the next generation of creative thinkers and leaders,
through a network that promotes the exchange of knowledge and
generates cooperation in an innovative, inspiring, and rewarding
atmosphere.

ventureleaders: This year will be the 11th edition of Venture Leaders,
an entrepreneurial "bootcamp" that will bring to the Boston area 20
entrepreneurs from Switzerland to visit local high tech companies,
attend courses with Babson College professors, interact with experts
and most importantly network with local entrepreneurs, investors and
other members of the high-tech community. The program is a
collaboration between CTI (Swiss innovation agency), venturelab (Swiss
entrepreneurship training platform) and swissnex Boston, Consulate of
Switzerland

http://pitchfest2011.eventbrite.com/

Taking Risks: The Journey from Blackjack to Big Blue - a talk with
Yuchun Lee
Monday, June 20, 2011 from 3:30 PM - 5:00 PM (ET)

IBM Center for Social Software
1 Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142

http://yuchun-lee.eventbrite.com/?ref=enivte?
amp
;utm_source
=eb_email&utm_media=email&utm_compaign=invitenew&utm_term=readmore

TECHNOLOGY AND MICRO FINANCE