[act-ma] A TIMELY REMINDER - JUNE 4 @ 3:00 P.M.

Amy Hendrickson amyh at texnology.com
Thu Jun 2 17:20:57 PDT 2011

This promises to be a very timely and interesting event. To get yourself in the mood, I suggest you read Chris Hedge's new article "The Sky Really is Falling" -- just published in Truthout (http://www.truthout.org)

Please join us for a timely, informative, and mind-stretching presentation.

Oceans and the World's Climate:
How They Are Interdependent

The scientific case for the impact of human behavior on the complex, delicate, worldwide ocean system, as it in turn influences climate change, will be the topic addressed by prominent oceanographer and inventor Dr. Kenneth Johnson.

Rhode Islanders live in close proximity to the sea, and our state’s economy is inextricably linked to it. Yet how much do most of us know about the ocean? Most importantly, do we understand the impact that ever-rising levels of atmospheric CO2 are having on the world’s oceans, and possibly on our own daily lives?

The melting of the polar ice caps, reversed ocean currents, changing chemical compositions, effects on marine ecosystems and fisheries—it all sounds very scientific and esoteric. But climate change will certainly impact humanity—and especially us coastal dwellers. Learning and understanding the facts, and their meaning for our future, is in our own best interests.

Dr. Johnson will review the results of his life's work, cruising and analyzing oceaninc waters while working at the URI's Graduate School of Oceanography, the Brookhaven National Laboratory on Long Island, the Institute for Sea Research in Germany, and Sweden's University of Gothenburg, to develop the techniques currently used by oceanographers to measure the concentration and the change in the concentration of dissolved CO2 in the seas.

Sponsored by:  Environmental Council of Rhode Island; Institute for Sustainability and Post-Carbon Education, Bristol Community College, Fall River, MA; R.I. Interfaith Power and Light; R.I. Progressive Democrats of America; R.I. Move-On