[act-ma] 7/9 (Sat, 7p) REMINDER: Peña Rebelde features Katerina Polemis @ encuentro 5

alisa alisa.wind at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 14:09:30 PDT 2011

*July 9th - *Peña Musical: Rebelde **
*Every 2nd Saturday at encuentro 5**
*
*Next Peña features: Katerina Polemis**
7pm - Food; 8pm - Music*
$5 - Suggested Donation for Entrance
         + the cost of food and beverages

encuentro 5 (click here for
directions<http://www.encuentro5.org/home/directions>
)
*33 Harrison Avenue, 5th Floor
Close to Downtown Crossing, Boylston, Chinatown T
*

This month, the Peña features Katerina Polemis, local
singer/songwriter. Get a taste of Katerina's incredible gamut
of expression at www.katerinapolemi.com;
www.myspace.com/katerinapolemi.
Bring your music, poetry, and artwork to share.

On Facebook: Peña Musical:
Rebelde<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#%21/home.php?sk=group_112082192212598>,
Katerina Polemis<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#%21/profile.php?id=20805806>
Organized by MESA sin fronteras <http://www.mesasinfronteras.org/>.
*Introducing Katerina*
by Simon Rios

"Living in Boston, born in London to a Greek father and Brazilian mother,
Katerina Polemis is a definition of what it is to be multicultural. At home
neither here nor there, while in all places at home.

But Katerina’s music is even more diverse than her heritage.

Her earliest recollections of musica were hearing church songs as a little
girl, then trying to pick them out on the guitar. But at the age of 4, her
fingers weren’t quite long enough to form the chords.

Like many of us the first recorded music she listened to was from her
parents’ collection: Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Wonder, Dinah Washington, Eric
Clapton, even REM.

Later she got into jazz, and she’s not afraid to admit that it was Kenny G.
who opened the door to the likes of Coltrane, Louis Armstrong, and her
favorite Thelonious Monk.

But the great love of her life is the music of her motherland—Brazil.

Katerina said the marriage of indigenous and African music is the heart of
Brazilian song. The European influence, both in terms of it’s elegance and
the instruments introduced to the Americas, most notably the guitar,
complete the trinity.

I first heard Katerina at a recital at Berkeley, from which she graduated
last year. With the soothe of her voice and the subtlety of her classical
guitar playing, I don’t exaggerate when I say I was moved to tears. To weep
at the beauty of music is a hallmark of my most memorable listening
experiences.

Since graduating Katerina has spent her time travelling the world with her
guitar and completing her debut album: “Spread the music, not the name.”

Join me in welcoming this young and brilliant singer/songwriter to our
circle, the third monthly Peña Rebelde."