[act-ma] Festival for a Nuclear-Free Future! Saturday, July 16, Copley Square

Cole Harrison cole at masspeaceaction.org
Mon Jul 11 13:22:22 PDT 2011

Festival for a Nuclear-Free Future! Saturday, July 16, Copley Square
[image: Festival for a Nuclear-Free Future] <http://nukefreefest.org>Dear
Friend,

When the Fukushima nuclear disaster struck Japan in March, the rest of the
world had to face up once again to the consequences of using unacceptably
dangerous technologies.

Are U.S. nuclear plants, which are designed the same way as Fukushima,
safe? Is there any way to permanently store nuclear waste for tens of
thousands of years?    Do we need nuclear power to help combat global
climate change, or can we power a nuclear-free future with solar, wind, and
other renewable energy sources?
Festival for a Nuclear-Free Future!
Saturday, July 16, 2-5pm
Copley Square, Boston
How about the threat of more than 20,000 nuclear weapons that threaten all
of humanity? Can the U.S. and Russia, which have enough missiles and bombs
to destroy all life on earth many times over, lead the way to global
abolition of nuclear weapons?

United for Justice with Peace and a number of other local groups are
sponsoring a *Festival for a Nuclear-Free Future on Saturday, July 16, from
2-5 pm in Copley Square. *We'll be addressing some extremely serious
problems – for example, nuclear power plants such as Vermont Yankee and
Pilgrim that could become the next Fukushima and turn Greater Boston into an
evacuation zone.

But we'll also be celebrating more hopeful alternatives -- growing
international support for a completely nuclear-weapons-free world through
negotiation of a treaty like the ones that now ban chemical and biological
weapons, landmines, and cluster bombs; and the safe, clean, sustainable
energy technologies that, along with conservation, will make something as
costly, dangerous, and unnecessary as nuclear power a thing of the past.

The festival will be free and family friendly. Come and enjoy games,
puppets, skits, music, dances, a giant globe showing where nuclear warheads
and power plants are -- and where they aren't -- and information about what
ordinary citizens can do to promote a saner, safer world.

[image: Flowers and nuclear plant]More information is available at
www.nukefreefest.org or by calling
617-354-2169<http://justicewithpeace.org/617-354-2169>.
I hope to see you there!
Festival for a Nuclear-Free Future!
Saturday, July 16, 2-5pm
Copley Square, Boston

-- UJP Nuclear Abolition Task Force
   <http://justicewithpeace.org>

United for Justice with Peace <http://justicewithpeace.org> is a coalition
of peace and justice organizations and community peace groups in the Greater
Boston region. The UJP Coalition, formed after September 11th, seeks global
peace through social and economic justice.

*Help us continue to do this critical work! Make a donation to UJP
today.<http://justicewithpeace.org/donate>
*

ujpcoalition at gmail.com
 617-383-4UJP *(NEW!)* www.justicewithpeace.org

 Upcoming Events:
       An Evening with Amy Goodman and Jimmy
Tingle<http://justicewithpeace.org/node/2854> Fri
Jul 8 7:00pm Barnstable High School Hyannis, Cape Cod  Festival for a
Nuclear-Free Future<http://justicewithpeace.org/festival-nuclear-free-future>
Sat
Jul 16 2:00pm Copley Square Boston  A Congressional Listening Tour—Speakout
For Good Jobs Now <http://justicewithpeace.org/node/2847> Wed Jul 20
6:00pm Prince
Hall Dorchester  Save the Date: Wars and Occupations
Conference<http://justicewithpeace.org/node/2720> Sat
Oct 1 9:00am Boston area  Social Movements/ Digital Revolutions
Conference<http://justicewithpeace.org/node/2656> Fri
Oct 21 6:00pm Lesley University Cambridge

*More Peace and Justice Events <http://justicewithpeace.org/upcoming-events>.
   How to Submit Events <http://justicewithpeace.org/posting-events>*

Cole Harrison
Communications Director