[act-ma] Sept 17 - #OCCUPYWALLSTREET: A Shift in Revolutionary Tactics

pf soto pfsoto at mynas.com
Thu Jul 14 22:17:15 PDT 2011

*Alright you 90,000 redeemers, rebels and radicals out there,*
**

A worldwide shift in revolutionary tactics is underway right now that
bodes well for the future. The spirit of this fresh tactic, a fusion of
Tahrir with the acampadas of Spain, is captured in this quote:

    "The antiglobalization movement was the first step on the road. Back
    then our model was to attack the system like a pack of wolves. There
    was an alpha male, a wolf who led the pack, and those who followed
    behind. Now the model has evolved. Today we are one big swarm of
    people."

    --- Raimundo Viejo, Pompeu Fabra University
    Barcelona, Spain

The beauty of this new formula, and what makes this novel tactic
exciting, is its pragmatic simplicity: we talk to each other in various
physical gatherings and virtual people's assemblies ... we zero in on
what our one demand will be, a demand that awakens the imagination and,
if achieved, would propel us toward the radical democracy of the future
... and then we go out and seize a square of singular symbolic
significance and put our asses on the line to make it happen.

The time has come to deploy this emerging stratagem against the greatest
corrupter of our democracy: *Wall Street, the financial Gomorrah of
America*.

On September 17, we want to see 20,000 people flood into lower
Manhattan, set up tents, kitchens, peaceful barricades and occupy Wall
Street for a few months. Once there, we shall incessantly repeat one
simple demand in a plurality of voices.

Tahrir succeeded in large part because the people of Egypt made a
straightforward ultimatum -- that Mubarak must go -- over and over again
until they won. Following this model, what is our equally uncomplicated
demand?

The most exciting candidate that we've heard so far is one that gets at
the core of why the American political establishment is currently
unworthy of being called a democracy: we demand that Barack Obama ordain
a Presidential Commission tasked with ending the influence money has
over our representatives in Washington. It's time for *DEMOCRACY NOT
CORPORATOCRACY*. We're doomed without it.

This demand seems to capture the current national mood because cleaning
up corruption in Washington is something all Americans, right and left,
yearn for and can stand behind. If we hang in there, 20,000-strong, week
after week against every police and National Guard effort to expel us
from Wall Street, it would be impossible for Obama to ignore us. Our
government would be forced to choose publicly between the will of the
people and the lucre of the corporations.

This could be the beginning of a whole new social dynamic in America, a
step beyond the Tea Party movement, where, instead of being caught
helpless by the current power structure, we the people start getting
what we want whether it be the dismantling of half the 1,000 military
bases America has around the world to the reinstatement of the
Glass-Steagall Act or a three strikes and you're out law for corporate
criminals. Beginning from one simple demand -- a presidential commission
to separate money from politics -- we start setting the agenda for a new
America.

Go to adbusters.org <http://www.adbusters.org> and tell us what you
think. Post a comment and help each other zero in on what our one demand
will be.

And then let's screw up our courage, pack our tents and head to Wall
Street with a vengeance September 17.

*for the wild,
Culture Jammers HQ*

/Adbusters/ #97: The Politics of Post Anarchism -- How To Live Without
Dead Time (with a 12"x 18" #OCCUPYWALLSTREET poster inside), hits
newsstands worldwide in ten days. Go to adbusters.org
<http://www.adbusters.org/support_subscribe> and subscribe!

Adbusters Media Foundation <http://www.adbusters.org/>

Adbusters.org <http://www.adbusters.org/> | Updates: Twitter
<http://twitter.com/adbusters> and Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Adbusters/131857616962>

Get this from a friend? Want to join the Culture Jammers Network? Visit:
www.adbusters.org <http://www.adbusters.org>.

IMPORTANT: To ensure our messages reach your inbox,
please add *jammers at lists.adbusters.org* to your address book.