[act-ma] [UJP Activist] "Why we Fight" - Screening and Discussion

United for Justice with Peace ujpcoalition at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 07:31:47 PDT 2011

UJP Activist: "Why we Fight" - Screening and Discussion

\"WHY WE FIGHT\" - SCREENING AND DISCUSSION

Massachusetts Peace Action [1] and Brookline PAX [2] present a film screening
followed by brief discussion.

Tuesday, July 19, 6:30 pm

Coolidge Corner Branch Library, 31 Pleasant St., Brookline - Green Line "C"
train

Why We Fight, directed by Eugene Jarecki, is a 2005 documentary about the
military–industrial complex.  The film won the grand jury prize at the
Sundance Film Festival.  The film is especially timely today during the titanic
budget debates in Washington, which include discussion of the proper security
posture of the United States.  The discussion will include an evaulation of the
Washington discussion on security policy and the military budget.

Why We Fight describes the rise and maintenance of the United States
military–industrial complex and its fifty-year involvement with the wars led
by the United States to date, especially its 2003 Invasion of Iraq. The
documentary asserts that in every decade since World War II, the American public
was misled so that the Government (incumbent Administration) could take them to
war and fuel the military-industrial economy maintaining American political
dominance in the world. Interviewed about this matter, are politician John
McCain, political scientist and former-CIA analyst Chalmers Johnson, politician
Richard Perle, neoconservative commentator William Kristol, writer Gore Vidal,
and public policy expert Joseph Cirincione.

Why We Fight documents the consequences of said foreign policy with the stories
of a Vietnam War veteran whose son was killed in the September 11, 2001 attacks,
and who then asked the military to write the name of his dead son on any bomb to
be dropped in Iraq; and that of a twenty-three-year-old New Yorker who enlists
in the United States Army because he was poor and in debt, his decision impelled
by his mother's death; and a female military explosives scientist who arrived in
the U.S. as a refugee child from Vietnam in 1975.

Sponsored

Contact: info at masspeaceaction.org [3], 617-354-2169.

		 [4]

United for Justice with Peace [5] is a coalition of peace and justice
organizations and community peace groups in the Greater Boston region. The UJP
Coalition, formed after September 11th, seeks global peace through social and
economic justice.

Help us continue to do this critical work!   Make a donation to UJP today. [6]

Please forward this message widely

ujpcoalition at gmail.com [7]

            617-383-4UJP (NEW!)

            		www.justicewithpeace.org [8]

Upcoming Events:

		Prospects for Peace with Justice in Israel and Palestine [9]

		Wed Jul 20

		1:00pm

		First Church in Cambridge, Congregational

		Cambridge

		Community Speakout on Jobs and the Economy   [10]

		Wed Jul 20

		6:00pm

		Prince Hall

		Dorchester

		Report Back from Freedom Flotilla II [11]

		Wed Jul 20

		7:00pm

		Cambridge Friends Meeting House

		Cambridge

		\"Hibakusha, Our Life to Live\", with a Talk by the Filmmaker [12]

		Fri Aug 5

		6:30pm

		All Saints Parish

		Brookline

		Save the Date: Wars and Occupations Conference [13]

		Sat Oct 1

		9:00am

		Boston area

		Social Movements/ Digital Revolutions Conference [14]

		Fri Oct 21

		6:00pm

		Lesley University

		Cambridge

More Peace and Justice Events [15].    How to Submit Events [16]

[1] http://www.masspeaceaction.org
[2] http://www.brooklinepax.org
[3] info at masspeaceaction.org
[4] http://justicewithpeace.org