[act-ma] 11/5-7: Gathering of War Tax Resisters and Supporters

Ed Agro edagro12 at verizon.net
Wed Aug 31 13:15:18 PDT 2011

The 26th Annual New England Gathering of War Tax Resisters and Supporters
will be held on Nov. 5-7 2011 at  Pioneer Valley Cohousing, Amherst,
Massachusetts

Resisters and others interested in war tax refusal are invited.

Advance registration is requested. For details and brochure, see
http://nwtrcc.org/regional_local.php

When you register, please indicate that you read about the Gathering in
act-ma. Thanks!

 From the brochure:

This Gathering provides an opportunity for war non-supporters to meet each
other and share experiences, stories, challenges, and concerns related to
war tax resistance/refusal (WTR) and redirection of refused taxes. The
Gathering is open to both new and experienced war tax resisters. We also
especially welcome people who are just testing the waters of WTR –those who
are simply curious about WTR or disturbed by the extent to which their
taxes fund war-making.

The theme of this year’s Gathering is On Being a War Tax Resister: Public
or Private? Through large-group and small-group discussions on Saturday, we
will explore both the benefits and challenges of being open, visible, and
public about our war tax resistance. Being public surely creates a stronger
witness and a bolder statement of our convictions, and encourages others to
explore WTR. Yet, there are valid concerns that being public as a war tax
refuser may attract attention from the IRS or expose ourselves to critical
judgment from family, friends, employers, co-workers, landlords, and others
with whom we interact regularly.

We honor all people engaged in WTR – those who are public and those who are
private. It is important to emphasize that this Gathering is being held to
promote healing, education, and understanding. The organizers of this
Gathering very much want the private WTR folks to join us during this
special weekend. Together we hope to strengthen and expand our community of
resistance.

The weekend will start off with a Friday evening presentation that is free
and open to the public (no registration required). Ed Hedemann will speak
about “The Many Faces of War Tax Resistance.” A war tax resister since
1970, Ed is also a former staff member of the War Resisters League (WRL),
author of War Tax Resistance, developer of the WRL pie chart, and a founder
in 1982 of the National War Tax Resistance Coordinating Committee (NWTRCC).