[act-ma] Energy (and Other) Events: One More

George Mokray gmoke at world.std.com
Mon Sep 12 08:09:38 PDT 2011

Sorry, I lost this one in the shuffle.  The Restructuring Roundtable
is always informative.

---------------------------------------

September 16, 2011
New England Electricity Restructuring Roundtable:

Two Timely Topics:
FERC Order 1000 (Transmission Planning and Cost Allocation
Requirements);
and
The Future of Solar in New England

Raab Associates presents:
The 124th NE Electricity Restructuring Roundtable
Date: Friday, September 16, 2011
Time: 9:00 am to 12:30 pm

Foley Hoag LLP
155 Seaport Boulevard, 13th Floor
Boston, MA 02210

On July 21, FERC issued Order 1000, its long-anticipated, 600-plus
page rule on the future of transmission planning and cost-allocation
in the United States. According to Chairman Wellinghoff, "The Final
Rule will profoundly affect the development of our nation's
transmission system in coming decades." One of the many unique
features of this Order is the requirement for integrating federal and
state energy policies (e.g., RPS) in transmission planning and
implementation.

Please join us at our next Restructuring Roundtable as we learn
aboutFERC Order 1000 and discuss its ramifications and implications
for New England transmission and non-transmission alternatives. The
panel will begin with a succinct synopsis by Mason Emnett, Associate
Director of FERC's Policy Office, and a lead FERC staffer on Order
1000. Mason will be followed by a panel of three discussants who will
reflect on how this order will likely impact transmission, renewables,
and other resource planning and implementation in New England.

Heather Hunt, Executive Director of the New England States' Committee
on Electricity (NESCOE), will lead off the panel with reflections
garnered from the six New England State PUCs on Order 1000 and an
update on NESCOE's coordinated competitive renewable procurement and
new interstate transmission siting collaborative. Peter Flynn,
President of FERC Regulated Businesses at National Grid, will provide
a transmission owner's perspective, and Seth Kaplan, VP of Policy and
Climate Advocacy at Conservation Law Foundation, will offer an
environmental perspective.

Our second panel focuses on the Future of Solar in New England. With
photovoltaic prices continuing to drop due to technology breakthroughs
and increasing economies of scale, coupled with new solar-related
state policies, PV installations in New England are on the rise. Our
panel starts off with international solar expert, ChrisPorter, Lead
Downstream Analyst, Photon Consulting, who will talk about the
international technology and price progressions and how they may
impact solar supply and demand in New England. DOERCommissioner Mark
Sylvia will then discuss the evolution of solar-related policies in
Massachusetts, including the Commonwealth's unique SREC market and net
metering rules. We round out the panel with two leading solar
developers as they discuss both the opportunities and on-going
challenges of developing solar projects throughout New England: Dan
Leary, President, Renewable Energy Solutions, Nexamp and President of
the Solar Energy Business Association of New England (SEBANE), and
Bryan Miller, VP of Energy Policy/Sustainable Energy at Constellation
Energy.