[act-ma] Free Event - "A Robot Sent to Destroy Me": The New Media Invasion and the Future of News, 10/21, 7 p.m.

Jason Pramas jpramas at igc.org
Thu Oct 13 11:04:35 PDT 2011

[please forward widely]

http://www.openmediaboston.org/node/2047

by Jason Pramas, Oct-12-11 *OMB Editorial

* <http://www.openmediaboston.org/taxonomy/term/235>

So, ok, the official title of the event is the *Town Hall Meeting on
Media and Democracy*
<http://civic.mit.edu/event/town-hall-meeting-on-media-and-democracy>.
But we thought that sounded too low-key; so we decided to zip up our
promotions a bit this week.??Anyhow, Open Media Boston and the other
event co-sponsors - *Free Press* <http://www.freepress.net/>, *Lesley
University* <http://www.lesley.edu/>, *Mass. Global Action*
<http://www.massglobalaction.org/>, *MIT Center for Civic Media*
<http://civic.mit.edu/>, and *MIT Comparative Media Studies*
<http://cms.mit.edu/> - are pleased to invite everyone who wonders about
what the rise of social media means for the future of journalism to come
to the famed lecture hall *MIT Room 10-250*
<http://whereis.mit.edu/?go=10> (Building 10, 2nd floor, Room 250) at 7
p.m. on Friday, October 21st and join us for a fun, informative
discussion. The evening will be hosted by the *Boston Media Reform
Network* <file://localhost/bostonmediareform> with support from
*Participant Media* <http://www.participantmedia.com/>.

The documentary *Page One: Inside the New York Times*
<http://www.takepart.com/pageone>, which chronicles the transformation
of the media industry in the face of changing economic and technological
realities, will frame the conversation. We will explore how the shifting
media landscape impacts our democracy, and what that means for the news
and information needs of local communities, especially in Boston. Clips
from the film will be shown, several media experts will be asked to
share their thoughts and experience on this changing landscape, and
audience participation will be strongly encouraged.

And how about those media experts? We'll have *Brian Stelter*
<http://www.brianstelter.com/> of the New York Times (who is featured in
Page One), *Cindy Rodríguez* <http://cindyerodriguez.com/> from Emerson
College, *Sasha Constanza-Chock* <http://schock.cc/> from the MIT Center
for Civic Media and MIT Comparative Media Studies, and *Craig Aaron*
<http://www.freepress.net/node/122> from Free Press. *I will be*
<http://about.me/jpramas> moderating. Plus we might have some extra
special guests on hand. Incidentally, the quote in the title of this
editorial refers to something that *David Carr*
<http://www.nytimes.com/ref/business/bio-carr.html> of the New York
Times media desk says about his colleague Brian Stelter in Page One.
It's a funny scene that reflects the passing of the torch from older
reporters like Carr to younger social media savvy ones like Stelter, and
one of the big reasons we thought it would be a blast to build this
event around the film.

This panel is also the opening event of the *Social Movements/Digital
Revolutions conference* <http://www.digitalmediaconference.org/> - which
we'd love you all to attend. We've *already written about that*
<http://www.openmediaboston.org/node/1996> in detail in these pages, but
we'll be putting out a special editorial on it next week - with a list
of speakers and workshops.

Given the role that social media is playing in the rise of the #Occupy
movement nationally, and in the global wave of uprisings from which it
sprung, we think this conversation could hardly be more timely. So we
strongly encourage *#OccupyBoston* <http://www.occupyboston.com/> folks
to come on over to the both the opening panel on Friday, October 21st
and the main conference on Saturday, October 22nd.

That's it for now. If anyone has any questions about either event, just
email us at OMB ... info [at] openmediaboston [dot] org. And if you're
coming on the 21st, we'd appreciate it if *you would RSVP*
<http://act2.freepress.net/survey/townhall_media_Boston> so we'll have
an idea of how many folks are definitely planning to attend. Thanks!

/Jason Pramas is Editor/Publisher of Open Media Boston/