[act-ma] Boston: Ocupemos El BARRIO next steps, mtg Fri at 6pm

Brian K bdubkwob at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 10:18:44 PST 2011

Hey folks,

On Friday, there was a meeting of around 120 people in East Boston for
launching of Ocupemos El Barrio. The group already has a media, outreach,
and facilitation working group for the second meeting/assembly that will
convene this Friday.

Though I missed the launch, I was at an organizing meeting of Ocupemos El
Barrio on Monday night, and was humbled by the passion and energy of the
organizers.

I was also moved by the prospect of the Latino and broader immigrant
community from various nationalities joining this movement and taking it
into their hands as their own. This is MONUMENTAL development because of
the potential it holds out to expand the movement.

Take a look at this totally favorable coverage by no less than UNIVISION!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7sbDDb4GsU

What next?

As Stanley says, "we need people working on fundraising, labor solidarity,
direct respond on case of a deportation in the community, housing (e.g.
eviction blockades), and research/statistics (we need to gather information
about the state of immigrant community in MA and USA), and S-Comm program."
We also need translators because we want to have a blog/website in multiple
languages.

Please let me know if you are interested in getting more involved.

The next meeting is this Friday at 6pm at the Maverick Landing Community
Center, 31 Liverpool St, East Boston (near Maverick station on the Blue
MBTA Line).
We are working on providing translation, so don't let language be an
occupation barrier!

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=137071923064633

And the community page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ocupemos-El-Barrio/286888601344993?sk=wall