[act-ma] Jan 5, THURSDAY FILM: SCARRED LANDS AND WOUNDED LIVES, on the enviromental damage of war and bases

Amy Hendrickson amyh at texnology.com
Tue Dec 27 06:36:52 PST 2011

THURSDAY FILM SERIES BACK AT CENTRAL SQUARE LIBRARY

  The Monthly Peace and Justice Film Series

  Thursday, January 5  6:45-9
  Central Square Public Library
  45 Pearl Street
  Cambridge, MA

   SCARRED LANDS AND WOUNDED LIVES--A FILM BY ALICE AND LINCOLN DAY.

  In all its stages, from the production of weapons through combat to cleanup and restoration, war entails actions that pollute land, air, and water, destroy biodiversity, and drain natural resources. Yet the environmental damage occasioned by war and preparation for war is routinely underestimated, underreported, even ignored. The environment remains war's "silent casualty."

  Activities that do such damage cry out for far-reaching public scrutiny. The very sustainability of our planet is at stake. We can no longer maintain silence about the environmental impact of war on the grounds that such scrutiny is "inconvenient" or "callous" at a time when human life is so endangered.We must at least require a fuller accounting of war's costs and consequences, and demand that destructive forces used in our name leave a lighter footprint on this highly vulnerable planet. It is to this change in values and actions that this documentary film is directed.

  FREE       Parking Nearby

  Refreshments will be served.

  UPCOMING FILM
  Thursday February 2,  6:45-9
  Brother Outsider, a film about Bayard Rustin . In honor of Black History month
   BROTHER OUTSIDER creates an aesthetic that reflects Rustin’s position as an outsider, a troublemaker and an eloquent speaker who refused to be silenced.
  The film is an outstanding documentary that has won many awards

  SPONSORED BY THE WOMEN'S INTERNATIONAL LEAGUE FOR PEACE AND FREEDOM AND THE CAMBRIDGE PEACE COMMISSION
  Questions-call 617 244-8054