[act-ma] Reminder: MLK Day Commemoration: Central Sq., Cambridge -- Mon., Jan. 16, 2012, 12:00 to 2:00 PM

Corr, Brian bcorr at cambridgema.gov
Sun Jan 15 06:00:01 PST 2012

Cambridge's Annual Martin Luther King Day Commemoration and Remembrance
Monday, January 16, 2012 * 12:00 PM to 2:00 PM
St. Peter's Episcopal Church, 838 Massachusetts Ave., Central Sq., Cambridge

Please join the Cambridge Peace Commission as we publicly remember and celebrate the life and work of Dr. Martin Luther King at St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Central Square, Cambridge:

* 12:00 to 1:45 PM: Celebration of Dr. King's Life and Work for Peace, Justice, and Transformation * inside St. Peter's Episcopal Church * 838 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge
* 2:00 to 2:45 PM: Informal Lunch and Gathering at the Church * In the undercroft (basement) at St. Peter's

In 1968, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King described the most serious threat to American society. In his words, "We must rapidly begin the shift from a thing-oriented society to a person-oriented society. When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights, are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, extreme materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered." More than 40 years later, the United States still faces these three existential challenges to our values as a nation.

The City of Cambridge will honor and remember Dr. Martin Luther King and his legacy as we gather at St. Peter's Episcopal Church to hear Dr. King's words calling for peace, justice and transformation, along with brief remarks by Pete Davis, a Harvard student who participated in a reenactment of the 1961 Freedom Rides in connection with the recent PBS film.

Free and open to the public. Light refreshments will be served.
For more information contact the Peace Commission at 617.349.4694 or peace at cambridgema.gov<mailto:peace at cambridgema.gov>.

Brian Corr
Executive Director, Cambridge Peace Commission
51 Inman St., Cambridge, MA 02139
617.349.4694 voice * 617.349.4766 fax
bcorr at cambridgema.gov<mailto:bcorr at cambridgema.gov> * http://www.cambridgema.gov/peace<http://www.cambridgema.gov/peace/>