[act-ma] WED 1/25 1:30 PM EMERGENCY ACTION! STOP THE LAYOFFS AT HARVARD! 90 MT AUBURN ST

Geoff Carens geoff.carens at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 16:01:04 PST 2012

Dear All,

During the last fiscal year, Harvard University's massive endowment jumped
21%, to $32 billion. As a "non-profit," Harvard enjoys special tax status,
on top of its recent huge stock market gains. Obviously flush with cash,
the University is cutting jobs and laying off workers anyway!

15 out of 22 staffers at Harvard Health Publications have been told they
will lose their jobs in March. On 1/19, Harvard University Library
Executive Director Helen Shenton shocked hundreds of library workers with
the news that Harvard was seeking to cut an undisclosed number of their
jobs. Job descriptions are to be re-written and workers are to re-apply for
a diminished number of new positions. Shenton said there will be a smaller
library work force at Harvard by July, the beginning of the next fiscal
year. Although administrators claim the restructuring is to improve the
libraries, workers know the true reason for the planned cuts is financial.
Harvard is looking to further swell its coffers by consigning dedicated
workers to the unemployment line.

Please join campus workers as we begin our fightback! We'll meet this Wed.,
1/25, at 1:30 p.m., at 90 Mount Auburn St., steps from the Harvard red line
T. Click <http://map.harvard.edu/level3.cfm?mapname=camb_allston&tile=F7&quadrant=C&series=N>
here<http://maps.yahoo.com/#tt=&q=90+Mount+Auburn+St%2C+Cambridge%2C+MA++02138-4976&conf=1&start=1&lat=42.37225&lon=-71.119782&zoom=16&mvt=m&trf=0>for
a map.

More details about the planned cuts are
here<http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2012/1/24/Harvard-no-layoffs-library-HUCTW-SLAM-Labor/>.
Please forward this message *widely*.

In Solidarity,

Geoff Carens, Union Rep, Harvard Union of Clerical and Technical
Workers/HUCTW