[act-ma] 2/29: National call to action - Shut down the corporations!

pf soto pfsoto at mynas.com
Wed Feb 1 22:16:05 PST 2012

http://www.shutdownthecorporations.org/

    <http://www.shutdownthecorporations.org><http://www.shutdownthecorporations.org>Call
    to Action

*Occupy Portland calls for a national day of non-violent direct action
<http://www.shutdownthecorporations.org/?page_id=65> to reclaim our
voices and challenge our society's obsession with profit and greed by
shutting down the corporations.*  We are rejecting a society that does
not allow us control of our future. We will reclaim our ability to shape
our world in a democratic, cooperative, just and sustainable direction.

We call on people to target corporations that are part of the American
Legislative Exchange Council
<http://www.shutdownthecorporations.org/?page_id=16> which is a prime
example of the way corporations buy off legislators and craft
legislation that serves the interests of corporations and not people.
They used it to create the anti-labor legislation in Wisconsin and the
racist bill SB 1070 in Arizona among so many others. They use ALEC to
spread these corporate laws around the country. *Read the full call to
action <http://www.shutdownthecorporations.org/?page_id=21> here.*

If your city or organization is participating please let us know by
filling out this form
<http://www.shutdownthecorporations.org/?page_id=30>! We can post
contact information <http://www.shutdownthecorporations.org/?page_id=24>
for your action so that people in your area can get involved! *Already
30+ cities are planning actions
<http://www.shutdownthecorporations.org/?page_id=24> including*
Portland, Riverside, Long Beach, Santa Cruz, Las Vegas, Buffalo, Crown
Heights and Brooklyn, coordinated cities in Connecticut, Atlanta,
Jacksonville, Tulsa, Richmond, Austin, Phoenix, Provo, Minneapolis,
Dayton, Kansas City, Salt Lake City, Newark, Salt Lake City, Nashville,
Medford, Hampton Roads, San Diego, Hilo and Eugene! *[nothing for Boston
yet]*

Check our our direct action resources
<http://www.shutdownthecorporations.org/?page_id=65> and information on
how corporations that are part of ALEC
<http://www.shutdownthecorporations.org/?page_id=78> erode our
democracy, undermine workers rights and attack unions
<http://www.shutdownthecorporations.org/?page_id=134>, destroy our
environment <http://www.shutdownthecorporations.org/?page_id=100>,
obstruct efforts to address climate change
<http://www.shutdownthecorporations.org/?page_id=131>, undermine public
education <http://www.shutdownthecorporations.org/?page_id=108>, pursue
destructive agricultural practices
<http://www.shutdownthecorporations.org/?page_id=102> and fuel the
prison industrial complex
<http://www.shutdownthecorporations.org/?page_id=106> (more coming soon).

Our next national coordination conference call
<http://www.shutdownthecorporations.org/?page_id=24> Thursday (2/9) 6:00
PM PST/9:00 PM EST. We will be discussing national coordination, sharing
important information and resources and identifying areas that local
actions need assistance with.**

*----------*

*Join us! Start organizing in your city. Get your General Assembly to
join, your organization to endorse or otherwise participate in this call
to action.* Any organization or affinity group interested in this action
should join this call. We will be working to both support and coordinate
the action with conference calls, outreach materials and trainings. Once
you know you will be participating please fill out this form
<http://www.shutdownthecorporations.org/?page_id=30> with info about
your city or organization so that we can add the details to the website
and help people plug in locally!

**We would also encourage you to check out our section on organizing
your action with a spokes council and affinity groups
<http://www.shutdownthecorporations.org/?page_id=71>. This is one
important and effective way to organize these types of actions. It also
does so in a way that is consistent with our movement's value to direct
democracy, participatory decision making, and non-hierarchical
structures. Of course there are many ways to do this, but we have had
enormous success with this model in Portland. The direct action spokes
council, the Portland Action Lab <http://www.portlandactionlab.org/>,
which is organizing Portland's action used this organizing model on N17
to shut down most of the major corporate banks in downtown Portland!

Leap into action! Reclaim our future!  Shut down the corporations!