[act-ma] [UJP Activist] Occupy Peace Summit: Philadelphia, Feb. 24-26

United for Justice with Peace info at justicewithpeace.org
Mon Feb 20 11:59:02 PST 2012

UJP Activist: Occupy Peace Summit: Philadelphia, Feb. 24-26

OCCUPY PEACE SUMMIT: PHILADELPHIA, FEB. 24-26

Register NOW for Occupy Peace [1]!

United for Peace and Justice (UFPJ) member groups are gathering in Philadelphia
with Occupy Philly and local community activists to develop and share a new
vision of peace and justice for our nation and the world. Come join us February
24-26 for this important meeting to begin this process.   UJP is the local
member group of UFPJ in the Greater Boston area.

You can register here [2].   More information [3]

Changes are under way –some in response to the years of hard work by the
domestic and international peace movements.  U.S. troops have been withdrawn
from Iraq and the Secretary of Defense has spoken of troop reduction and a
possible change in the military mission in Afghanistan in 2013. There is also
talk of reducing the size of the armed forces, retiring some ships and planes
and closing down bases. What has not changed is the commitment of American
leaders in both political parties to maintain a vast superiority in military
power, and to make the use or threat of force a centerpiece of its foreign
policy. We still have a long way to go: to stop the war in Afghanistan, to
remove the thousands of private security forces from Iraq, to prevent a war in
Iran, to halt US military interventions around the world, to eliminate the
nuclear arsenal and to reduce the military budget.

The significance of the Administration changes must be evaluated within the
framework outlined by the Department of Defense’s January strategic
guidelines. Quoting Secretary of Defense Panetta, the document lays out plans
to, “have global presence emphasizing the Asia –Pacific and the Middle East
while ensuring our ability to maintain our defense commitments in Europe, and
strengthen alliances and partnerships across all regions.” Iran and China are
specifically mentioned setting them up as threats to be monitored and guarded
against. Recent events seem to be leading towards a crisis with Iran every day.

The Obama administration has outlined its war and peace agenda. We must begin to
envision, create and articulate ours

Register here! [4]   for More information [5]

With scarce resources and millions of people suffering in the weak U.S. economy
under pressure from deficit spending and enormous debt, the Obama Administration
is claiming to cut military spending when in fact it is only slowing down the
Pentagon's budget increases. Yet the Administration and their opposition in the
Republican leadership are looking for real cuts in human services such as
healthcare, education and environmental protection, as well as a reduction in
investments for infrastructure and research and development.

Leadership in Washington is willing to increase spending on military forces to
protect the interests of international corporations which gain billions in
profits even as they evade paying a fair share of taxes. At the same time
average Americans are left jobless with under sourced strategies to create jobs
and inadequate tools to prepare for the jobs of the future. Millions have lost
their homes or owe more on their home than it is worth and the economy is
forecasted to be anemic for years to come. The interests of the rich and
powerful are protected while the average Josephine and Joe are left at the mercy
of so- called market forces.

Policies that reduce investment in people and increase spending for weapons and
death are not new. Our nation continues to go down a road of militarism and
political intervention in the affairs of other countries. It is incumbent on us
to develop an alternative narrative for the average person to decide, should our
nation continue on the path of pursuing global economic and political hegemony
through military domination or is it time now, in the 21st century, for a
different kind of diplomacy? Is it time for a new effort that will lead the
world to ethnic and religious coexistence and international cooperation?

While the world is facing nearly insurmountable challenges such as climate
change, fossil fuel depletion and nuclear proliferation it is time we stop
leaving the future of the world, our future, in the hands of politicians and
corporations. Come join together in Philadelphia with local activist and the
vibrant Occupy movement to start a conversation to envision our future, plan how
to build the vision and then make it happen.

Register here! [6]  for More Information [7]

  * Friday February 24: Meet and Greet, 5 pm - 7 pm, Mexican Post, 1601 Cherry,
Philadelphia, PA 19102

      * Saturday February 25: Working Sessions, 9 am – 5 pm, ARCH Street
United Methodist Church, 55 North Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102

      * Sunday February 26: Working Session, 9:30 am – 4 pm, Friends Center,
1501 Cherry Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102

		 [8]

United for Justice with Peace [9] is a coalition of peace and justice
organizations and community peace groups in the Greater Boston region. The UJP
Coalition, formed after September 11th, seeks global peace through social and
economic justice.

             [10]

Help us continue to do this critical work!   Make a donation to UJP today. [11]

info at justicewithpeace.org [12]

            		617-383-4857

            		www.justicewithpeace.org [13]

Upcoming Events:

		Occupy Peace Summit [14]

		Fri Feb 24

		6:00pm

		Friends Center

		Philadelphia, PA

		Remember Fukushima: Walk for a New Spring [15]

		Fri Mar 2

		9:00am

		Seabrook, NH to Plymouth, MA to Vernon, VT

		Seabrook, NH to Plymouth, MA to Vernon, VT

		Occupy AIPAC! [16]

		Fri Mar 2

		9:00am

		Washington, DC

		Remember Fukushima! [17]

		Tue Mar 6

		6:00pm

		Cambridge Friends Meeting Center

		Cambridge

		Challenging the Pivot: The U.S., China, & Alternatives to Asia-Pacific
Militarization [18]

		Tue Mar 13

		7:30pm

		Episcopal Divinity School, Washburn Auditorium

		Cambridge

		Massachusetts Jobs with Justice 20th Anniversary Dinner [19]

		Thu Mar 15

		6:00pm

		Suffolk Downs

		East Boston

		Bridging the Divide: United States / Pakistan [20]

		Sat Mar 17

		6:30pm

		St John's United Methodist Church

		Watertown

		St. Patrick's Peace Parade [21]

		Sun Mar 18

		1:30pm

		assemble one block west of Broadway MBTA Station

		South Boston

More Peace and Justice Events [22].    How to Submit Events [23]

[1]
http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=nV8%2FMRS%2FU2kluBltv4kgnnkD39X025uO
[2]
http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=PLP1FLFNl4PRzHrS2LuKd9TMD1zo6Ysh