[act-ma] Thanks and Two More Prison Solidarity Events This Week

Brian K bdubkwob at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 07:24:03 PST 2012

Hey folks,

Thanks so much to all of you who, even if only in spirit, made yesterday's day
of action in solidarity with
prisoners<http://occupy4prisoners.org/actions/>a success, including
the refusal of food by 20 prisoners in Ohio in
solidarity with Feb 20 / Occupy 4 Prisoners.

Here are two  follow up prison-related events in Boston this week:

1) Thurs (2/23) Prison Film: 3000 years and Life
2) Sat (2/25) Rally for Tarek Mehanna, Boston Common2

1) Film screening:

3000 Years and Life

The Howard Zinn Memorial Lecture Series @OB is planning our second film and
discussion in the "Occupy Film" series.  The film is called *3000 Years and
Life*, and focuses on the prisoner rebellion at Walpole.  The event is free
and open to the public and will be followed by open community discussion.
We'll also be joined by prison abolitionist and author Jamie Basinette
("When the Prisoners Ran Walpole") and Bobby Dellelo, one of the leaders of
the prisoners union during the Walpole rebellion.  Should be great!

Info:
7:30 PM, Thursday Feb 23rd
at the Community Church of Boston
565 Boylston Street #2

Please see the attached fliers and/or

http://zinnlectures.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/occupy-film-series-to-start/

2) *Stand in Solidarity with Tarek Mehanna*

* *

*RALLY ON BOSTON COMMON*

*SATURDAY, Feb 25th*

* *

*EXPRESS YOUR OUTRAGE AT RACISM & ISLAMOPHOBIA
This Guilty Verdict is Unjust! Free Tarek NOW!*

*When: Saturday February 25th, 2012*

*What time: 2:00pm – 3:30pm*

*Where: The Gazebo on the Boston Common near Park Street *

This rally marks an important milestone in our support of Tarek and will
include:

1. A written statement from Tarek Mehanna
2. The Free Tarek Campaign road map, 2012: Next Steps
3. A number of engaging speakers from respected local groups.
4. Petition signature collecting

5. Information about how to get involved in the campaign for Tarek's
release!

Together we will take a stand to show our support for our brother Dr. Tarek
Mehanna. Dr. Mehanna has been framed by the FBI and US Attorney’s office
for refusing to become an informant against his own community. His trial
was unfair, fraught with government misconduct at all levels, and centered
primarily on Tarek’s religious and political beliefs and statements. This
unjust guilty verdict has harrowing ramifications for civil rights and
freedom of speech, and it speaks volumes about the current level of racism
and Islamophobia in this country.

Tarek Mehanna is a hero for refusing to participate in the U.S.
Government's war on Arabs, Muslims, and communities of color at home and
abroad. We demand a fair trial leading to his release!

Official Tarek Mehanna website:  http://freetarek.com/