[act-ma] 3/1 @ 5 PM, HARVARD SQ, MARCH TO DEFEND HIGHER ED WORKERS!!

Geoff Carens geoff.carens at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 14:36:46 PST 2012

Dear All,

Harvard administrators have told hundreds of staff members that they could
face the unemployment line by July. Despite sitting on a mountain of money,
Harvard wants more, and plans to further swell its coffers by cutting
costs, separating campus workers from their livelihoods. The University is
completing its metamorphosis into a specially-privileged, "non-profit"
investment bank, with a minor sideline in elite education. This explains
why University libraries, central to academic research but irrelevant to
the Harvard Corporation, are the main target for staff reductions right
now.

Harvard's workers aren't taking the threat to their jobs lying down! Rank
and filers in Harvard's largest union have recently organized militant
pickets to fight management's latest efforts to kick them to the curb. With
support from Occupy Harvard and the Student Labor Action Movement, the
Harvard No Layoffs Campaign aims to develop from a big thorn in
management's side to something far more compelling. You can help on March
1st when we hold our next protest, in concert with Occupy's National Day of
Action for Education. We'll meet at 5 p.m., at 1350 Mass. Ave. in
Cambridge, next to Au Bon Pain, very close to the Harvard Sq. Red Line T
stop (Click here<http://maps.yahoo.com/#tt=&q=1350+Massachusetts+Ave%2C+Cambridge%2C+MA++02138-3846&conf=1&start=1&lat=42.373039&lon=-71.118179&zoom=16&mvt=m&trf=0>for
a map). Our event will include a demonstration and march to threatened
libraries. Please join us! The No Layoffs Campaign opposes *all* layoffs,
with a particular focus on defending workers at the richest university on
earth.

The Facebook event is here <http://www.facebook.com/events/217313841699162/>.
A flyer is attached for publicity purposes. Please forward this message as
widely as possible!

For the 99%,

Geoff Carens, Union Rep, Harvard Union of Clerical and Technical
Workers(HUCTW)/AFSCME Local 3650

http://harvardnolayoffs.blogspot.com/