[act-ma] 3/24: Join the Revolutionary Poetry Project - standout in Davis Sq, Somerville

pf soto pfsoto at mynas.com
Mon Feb 27 22:38:59 PST 2012

-------- Original Message --------
Dear friends,

You are invited to join the first Revolutionary Poetry Project event
Saturday, March 24, 1 PM, in Davis Square, Somerville (255 Elm St.,
close to the Davis Square Red line T station).

The eight stanzas of poetry (or "lyrics") for this project are online as
they appear on our signs one stanza per sign at
http://newdemocracyworld.org/verses.pdf , and formatted to print copies
as lyrics for rapping at
http://newdemocracyworld.org/revolution/This_I_Believe_in_rhyme_small.pdf .

We are going to "rap" the poetry as lyrics, and eight of us (at a time)
will position ourselves in a line on the sidewalk, wearing signboards,
each one with one of the eight stanzas of poetry, blown up to an 18" by
24" sign, as you can see online. The front and back signs will be such
that people walking past in either direction will see the stanzas in the
proper order.

The poetry is about how we have a fake democracy based on rotten values
of billionaire rulers; about how the "free enterprise" system is bad for
regular people, about how there should be economic equality with no rich
and no poor in an economy based on sharing according to need, not buying
and selling; about how real democracy means laws made only at the local
level by town hall type meetings and social order on a larger scale
based on voluntary federation, not a centralized hierarchical government
by supposed "representatives"; and about why we need a revolution to
make our society the way it ought to be.  All in iambic tetrameter!

We will ask people who have read (or heard) the poetry to read a short
prose version of the poetry (on a clipboard with signatures) and to sign
it if they agree with it; the statement is "This I Believe" (online at
http://newdemocracyworld.org/This%20I%20Believe.pdf .)

The purpose of collecting these signatures is twofold: #1: We want to
let people know that they are not alone in having the revolutionary
aspirations that they have. When people sign they will see the other
signatures in the clipboard. Also we will spread the word every way we
can about how many people have signed. #2: When people see that those
with revolutionary aspirations are not a hopelessly powerless minority
but rather a potentially powerful majority, then they will for the first
time have the confidence to engage in the actual collective actions
required to make a revolution and create a new and better society--one
that, among many other wonderful things, will not support Zionism or any
other oppression.

Contact me for more information, or just show up and join the fun.

--John