[act-ma] THU 3/1 @ 5 pm OCCUPY ED!! HARVARD SQ CAMBRIDGE

Geoff Carens geoff.carens at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 14:22:19 PST 2012

Dear All,

Harvard's workers are under attack! Hundreds of library workers, including
many union members, have been told their job descriptions will be
re-written, some jobs will be cut, and employees will have to compete for a
smaller number of new positions. The dread that this is creating in the
workplaces is palpable. Longer-service staff contemplate accepting a
miserly, coerced early-retirement deal, just out of fear they will be laid
off. Working parents believe their children's lives will be ruined if they
lose their jobs. A supposedly "non-profit" institution, the world's
second-wealthiest after the Catholic Church, Harvard's only concern appears
to be maximizing revenues and cutting costs. If workers, students and
academic scholarship have to suffer, it seems the Harvard Corporation
couldn't care less.

This Thursday, March 1, starting at 5 p.m., campus workers and our allies
in Occupy Harvard and the Student Labor Action Movement (SLAM), will
demonstrate against the planned cuts. We will hold a rally and march to
threatened workplaces. Our action is in solidarity with Occupy's call for
demonstrations supporting education on March 1st, including the 1 p.m.
rally/march at Boston's Dewey Sq, and 3:30 action at the Statehouse. Our
event in Cambridge at 5 p.m. will have the specific focus of defending
workers' rights.

Harvard's Labor Relations Dept has intimated to students that management
will revise their plans to slash jobs based on the amount of protest that
occurs. Our demonstration on March 1 will be the fourth we've held in less
than two months, since the layoff threats were issued in late January.
Please help us keep up the pressure! Staff cuts at a huge employer like
Harvard will further undermine the local economy, and drive down
everybody's wage scale.

We'll gather starting at 5 p.m. at Harvard's Holyoke Center, 1350 Mass.
Ave., very close to the Harvard Sq T stop and next to Au Bon Pain. A map is
here<http://maps.yahoo.com/#tt=&q=1350+Massachusetts+Ave%2C+Cambridge%2C+MA++02138-3846&conf=1&start=1&lat=42.373039&lon=-71.118179&zoom=17&mvt=m&trf=0>.
Our flyer is attached with more information. For the Facebook event, please
click here <http://www.facebook.com/events/217313841699162/>. Feel free to
forward this message!

In Solidarity,

Geoff Carens, Union Rep, Harvard Union of Clerical & Technical Workers
(HUCTW)/AFSCME Local 3650

http://harvardnolayoffs.blogspot.com/
http://occupyharvard.net/
http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/slam/