[act-ma] Tonight in Jamaica Plain: Afghan Perspectives in Film Screening & Discussion of Short Films from Afghanistan

Susan Serpa neimpeach at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 02:51:07 PST 2012

*Afghan Perspectives in Film Screening & Discussion of Short Films from
Afghanistan*
Friday, 3/2, 6-9 PM
First Church in JP UU
6 Eliot St
Boston, MA, 02113

Invite your friends on Facebook!

In 2010, Community Supported Film conducted an intensive 5-week training in
documentary production for 10 Afghan women and men. The recipients of that
training produced The Fruit of Our Labor, a collection of ten remarkable
short films. Going beyond battlefront war reporting, these films take on
pressing contemporary issues not covered by western media, such as the
effects of heroine addiction on Afghan families, the flash floods and
dangerous droughts that threaten most Afghans more than insurgent attacks,
and the choices women make negotiating healthcare and birth control without
functioning maternity clinics.

Join us for a screening and discussion with Community Supported Film
founder and director Michael Sheridan, who argues that stories told by
Afghans themselves can augment our understanding of Afghanistan and
positively influence our decision-making abilities.

http://csfilm.org/2012/02/jamaica-plain-forum-hosts-csfilm-for-screening-and-talk-32/

--
Susan Serpa
neimpeach at gmail.com