[act-ma] 6 Days Left to Move the Bottle Bill Update!

Phillip Sego, Mass Sierra Club phil at sierraclubmass.org
Thu Mar 15 06:15:01 PDT 2012

6 Days Left to Move the Bottle Bill Update

With the State Legislature's March 21 deadline ("Joint Rule 10") fast
approaching, we're asking everyone to take just 2 minutes to tell your
state legislators to move this bill. Visit www.massbottlebill.org to
email your legislators today and ask Speaker DeLeo to move this bill
to a vote.

Suggested Tweet: 6 days left to pass the @MassBottleBill! Tell your
legislator that MA needs the #bottlebill - visit http://j.mp/ubbnow -
retweet me!

Suggested Facebook Msg: 6 days left to pass the Bottle Bill Update!
Visit http://j.mp/ubbnow to send a msg to your State Rep/Sen. We need
the bottle bill!

Since the Bottle Bill's passage in 1983, over 35 billion containers
have been redeemed, contributing to a healthier environment, cleaner
and safer communities, and a stronger economy. But to keep up with the
times and consumers' tastes, the bottle bill must be updated.

An Updated Bottle Bill would expand our container deposit system to
include non-carbonated beverages, water, iced tea, juice, and sports
drinks. It would decrease litter and triple recycling. An estimated
3.3 billion beverages are consumed annually in Massachusetts, of which
1.3 billion are “new-age” (e.g. water, sports drinks, flavored teas),
and this number is only expected to increase. As consumers purchase
more of these beverages, an increasing number of containers are
finding their way to landfills and by the sides of our roads.

Please take action today!

Phillip Sego, phil at sierraclubmass.org
Massachusetts Sierra Club
Home: 221 Norfolk Street, Cambridge MA 02139-1402
tel: 617-807-0311, fax: 815-550-2394