[act-ma] Thursday 4/19: "Our Brand Is Crisis" - Free UPandOUT film screening

pf soto pfsoto at mynas.com
Wed Apr 18 08:13:01 PDT 2012

/Our Brand is Crisis/

Thursday, April 19th, in Cambridge   [please download & distribute flyer
<http://rule19.org/download-film/film-120419-Our%20Brand%20is%20Crisis.pdf>]

/<http://rule19.org/download-film/film-120419-Our%20Brand%20is%20Crisis.pdf>/[How
do '/they/' do it? get you to vote for the selected, corporate candidate
- and have you think you're making an independent, informed decision ...
and have you believe that '/your vote counts/'? Better yet, how do they
manage to sell you on their elections in the first place, when no matter
the outcome, you lose?  How DO they do it?  This film exposes the modus
operandi. The mantra is retooled at every stop: /Hope, Change, Yes We Can/]
*
The American selling of a president: abroad AND at home*

For decades, U.S. strategists-for-hire have been quietly molding the
opinions of voters and the messages of candidates in elections around
the world. They have worked for presidential candidates on every
continent (in Britain, Israel, India, Korea, South Africa, Venezuela,
Brazil, to name a few...). /*OUR BRAND IS CRISIS*/ is an astounding look
at one of their campaigns and its earth-shattering aftermath. With
flabbergasting access to think sessions, media training and the making
of smear campaigns, we watch how the consultants' marketing strategies
shape the relationship between a leader and his people. And we see a
shocking example of how the all-American art of branding can affect the
"spreading of democracy" overseas.

In classic verite style, "/*Our Brand Is Crisis*/" is the first
documentary to take viewers into the rooms where the strategies and
decisions are made, giving audiences access to some astonishing
realities. This is an adventure about the all-American art of branding,
and about how it effects us and the state of 'democracy' - at home and
around the world. We watch Americans employing the same imagery and
techniques used to market McDonald's to change the political future of
another country. How do the simple "messages" we hear all the time --
whether they're in political campaigns or Nike ads -- affect us?

"/I wanted to make clear that this is a story that does not happen just
in Bolivia but all over the world/." ~Rachel Boynton, director

/"It's a very explosive film in Bolivia because it shows close up a very
deliberate strategy.  The film is especially explosive because it's
about a candidate --- so identified with the United States and so hated
by so many Bolivians --- being put into office by the political
manipulations of U.S. consultants./" ~Jim Shultz, an American political
analyst in Bolivia

The consultants, who are the stars of the film, are little more than
mercenaries, cynical spinmeisters paid handsomely to manipulate public
opinion and Machiavellian because of the lengths they went to get him
elected. Strategists-for-hire use focus groups and polls, employing a
simple message and beginning what one adviser unabashedly calls "a dirty
war" against opponents.

/"Machiavellian? Well, governing is Machiavellian. It's about
calculating risks and opportunities./" ~Eduardo Gamarra, director of
Latin American studies at Florida International University in Miami
/
"Momentous! Will pack a punch with even the most informed viewer. The
unrestricted access we are given to these discussions that would
normally take place behind closed doors is astounding!/" ~NYT

"/The pretense in disputed elections is that the great conflict is
between the two major parties. The reality is that there is a much
bigger conflict that the two parties jointly wage against large numbers
of Americans who are represented by neither party and against powerless
millions around the world"/.~Howard Zinn

"/Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held
at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates./"
~Gore Vidal

"/There are generally three types of people as the old saying goes: The
first type are people "who make things happen". The second type are
people "who watch things happen" and the third type are people are those
"who wonder what happened"./ ~unattributed

*
When/where*
243 Broadway, Cambridge - corner of Broadway and Windsor,
entrance on Windsor
rule19.org/videos <http://rule19.org/videos/>

Please join us for a stimulating night out; bring your friends!
free film, free refreshments, & free door prizes.
[donations are accepted]

/"You can't legislate good will - that comes through education./" ~
Malcolm X

*UPandOUT film series* - see rule19.org/videos <http://rule19.org/videos/>

Why should YOU care? It's YOUR money that pays for US/Israeli wars - on
Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Palestine, Libya. Syria, Iran, So America, etc
etc - for billionaire bailouts, for ever more ubiquitous US prisons, for
the loss of liberty and civil rights...