[act-ma] The Real Cost of Coal Coming to Cambridge & Sudbury, MA; May 5 & 6

Dagoberto Martin radoptimist at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 19:37:17 PDT 2012

Join Rainforest Action Network as we bring three powerful speakers
together for the Real Cost of Coal Forum and to expose Bank of
America's contribution to this deadly industry.

Speakers include:
Bob Kincaid (WV) Board president, Coal River Mountain Watch
Lowell Chandler (MT) Student activist, University of Montana
Kristen Owenreay (WY) Organizer, High Country Rising Tide and The Good
Mule Project

>From the mountains of Appalachia to the Northwest Pacific Coast to
Wyoming's Powder River Basin, coal is a threat to the public health of
communities and to the earth's climate itself. These same communities
have risen up against King Coal and the banks the fund it.

The coal industry has spent tens of millions of dollars trying to
deceive the American public into believing that the age of coal is
here to stay, and that the country has no other option to power its
schools, places of worship, and businesses. The industry spent big
because it knows that the exact opposite is true—the age of coal is
over and the technologies are with us today to ditch coal for good.

At every stage of its life, coal does serious damage. Coal is the
Number One contributor to climate change, is a leading cause of
mercury pollution, and continues to scar mining communities in untold
ways.

The one central thing that keeps these dirty energy companies in
business is big banks. Put simply, we cannot solve climate change if
banks continue to prop up dirty energy industries, in particular coal
companies. In the past two years alone, Bank of America has pumped
$4.3 billion into the U.S. coal industry. Now Rainforest Action
Network has launched a campaign against Bank of America demanding that
they stop funding the coal industry.

WHAT: The Real Cost Of Coal Forum-Sudbury, MA

WHERE: Memorial Congregational Church; 26 Concord Rd. Sudbury,MA

WHEN: Saturday, May 5, 2pm

FACEBOOK RSVP: https://www.facebook.com/events/155182217944879

WHAT: The Real Cost of Coal Forum-Cambridge, MA

WHERE: First Parish in Cambridge,3 Church Street, Cambridge, MA 02138
(near the Harvard T-stop)

WHEN: Sunday, May 6, 3PM

FACEBOOK RSVP:
http://www.facebook.com/events/349900668391499

CONTACT: Monique, moniqueditullio at gmail.com; 508-769-2599

ADMINISSION: Free and open to the public

MORE INFO: http://dirtymoney.org

Thanks, Scott Parkin

Rainforest Action Network

Senior Organizer, Coal Finance

sparkin at ran.org

221 Pine St #500

San Francisco, CA 94104 USA

415-659-0524 office

415-398-2732 fax

415-235-0596 cell

www.ran.org

www.dirtymoney.org

Join our activist list serve to plug into local grassroots activities
at http://lists.riseup.net/www/subscriber/ran.

--
martin dagoberto a.k.a. marty

sacred activist
dedicated catalyst
freelance solutionary

Occupy/Decolonize Boston

c: 508.361.0136
@radicaloptimist

"All that we do now must be done in a sacred manner and in
celebration." - the Hopi